IT'S GUEST AUTHOR SATURDAY! Please welcome contemporary romance author Sophie Claire...

 


Hi Sophie! It is so lovely to welcome you back to my blog again - hopefully it means you enjoyed yourselve the last time you were here :) I am very much looking forward to catching up with you and learning more about your latest release THIS CHRISTMAS IN PARIS. Let's get started with my questions...

1.)              What was your first job? Did you like or dislike it? Why?

My first job was babysitting. I was 13 years old and I sent handwritten postcards to all the neighbours with young children who lived in our street! I loved it. Most of the children were kids I knew (this is back in the day when we used play in the street – I’m THAT old!), and it seemed like easy money to watch television and eat biscuits while their parents went out for the evening.

 

2.)              Do you have a pet peeve? If so what is it?

Apostrophes in plurals! (eg. Apostrophe’s in plural’s). I see this more and more, and the proofreader in me wants to get my red pen out…! But seriously, why would you add punctuation when it’s not needed? Why?!

 

3.)              Do you spend more time researching or writing?

I’m a lazy writer and I do the minimum research necessary. Unfortunately, it is sometimes necessary, though, in which case I write as much as I can then find out what I need to know to move forward. If I can I leave the research until the editing stage, otherwise it would be too easy to get bogged down and never actually write. I’m always amazed what curious subjects come up: in one day I might research the symbolism of cicadas, the ingredients of Quiche Lorraine, and use Google Maps to plot a Paris Métro journey. But the most fun was when I learned about the Thirteen Desserts of Christmas in Provence. I made them, and my family enjoyed tasting them too!

 

4.)              Tell me about your book This Christmas in Paris and where you got your inspiration for it?

This Christmas in Paris is the story of Carys, who escapes to Paris hoping to start a new life where no one knows about her car accident. She falls in love with journalist, Mat, but he’s keeping a secret of his own – which could be devastating for their relationship…

I love the film, You’ve Got Mail, and really wanted to write a book where the hero and heroine meet and fall in love, but don’t realise that online they are enemies (the reverse of Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks’ characters). I also wanted to explore the subject of online reviews because when I was first published, I was shocked at how mean some reviewers can be. When I asked my writer friends about it, they admitted they were hurt by one star reviews, too, yet they had written some too for tradesmen or restaurants they hadn’t liked. I found it fascinating that we can all be both the victim and the aggressor.

In my book, Carys is running a Paris café which suddenly starts receiving one star reviews from a mystery reviewer online, but I’d better not say any more. J

 

 

5.)              How much of your book is realistic?

This book was written during the pandemic when travel was difficult; however, I hope I’ve done justice to the Parisian setting, drawing on past trips there and research online. My godmother, who lives near Versailles just outside Paris, was also kind enough to read through the book and check it for me.

As for the rest of the book, I try to keep things as believable as possible, but for me the realism is in the characters’ emotional story. That’s what readers identify with; that’s the heart of a romance.

 

 

6.)              What are your ambitions for your writing career?

As long as I can keep writing books and connecting with readers, then writing continues to be a dream come true. It took me many years to get published so I never take it for granted that I’m doing the job I love and hopefully bringing joy to my readers. If I could earn a living from it too that would be even better.

 

 

7.)              Who is your role model? Why?

I’m a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association and there are so many writers within that organisation that I look up to and admire. Writers who are dedicated to their work, but unfailingly generous with their support of others, and who write inspiring books that touch millions of readers. A few who have been kind to me are Kate Walker, Julie Cohen and Trisha Ashley, but there are countless more. Also, I love Jojo Moyes’ work. I’ve never met her, but she’s definitely a role model.

 

 

8.)              Share one fact about yourself that would surprise people.

I used to play women’s rugby. I joined the team at university, although I’d never played before and hadn’t even watched it so I didn’t know the rules. I was scrum half and I found it infuriating that the referee (a fellow student, giving up his spare time) kept stopping play every time I dropped the ball forward! Poor referee. Needless to say, I didn’t carry on playing after uni, though I still love watching it.


BLURB



Blurb:


What could be more magical than Christmas in Paris?



When Carys is offered the chance to run a little French café, she leaps at the chance to discover an exciting city where she can dream big.


Meanwhile, struggling journalist Mat is living in the City of Love – but he’s never found romance himself.


Then, a chance encounter changes everything, and it feels like the start of something wonderful. But Carys and Mat are both keeping secrets . . .


Can they open their hearts to one another – and maybe even find love, just in time for Christmas?


Buy links:

Amazon: mybook.to/ChristmasinParis

Bookshop.org: bit.ly/ThisChristmasinParis


Bio 


Sophie Claire writes uplifting emotional stories with their heart in Provence, where she spent her childhood summers. She is half French, half Scottish, was born in Africa and growing up in England she felt she didn’t belong anywhere – except in the pages of a book. Perhaps this is why she likes to

help her characters find their home; a place in the world where they can be loved for themselves.

Previously, she worked in marketing and proofreading academic papers, but writing is what she always considered her ‘real job’ and now she’s delighted to spend her days dreaming up heartwarming contemporary romance stories set in beautiful places.

You can find out more at www.sophieclaire.co.uk.






No comments

Post a Comment