IT'S GUEST AUTHOR SATURDAY!! Please welcome contemporary romance author Jo Lambert...


 Hi Jo! So glad to have you visit my blog again - it's been awhile :) I hope you are well and keeping busy. I am looking forward to catching up and finding out more about your latest release A KINGSWATER'S SUMMER! Let's get things going with my questions...

1.)              Do you use pictures as inspiration at the start of a book?

Yes, it’s an absolute must. I need to be able to visualise my characters before the writing process begins. To do this, I set up a board on Pinterest and save pictures of both location and actors I would choose if the work was being adapted for TV. As far as the setting goes, although names may be fictional they are based on real places, which makes it far easier to ‘see’ my cast in their surroundings.

2.)              What is your favourite period drama?

Well it has to be Bridgerton doesn’t it?  Such a wonderful series which is filmed in Bath, where I happen to live.  It has everything – stunning costumes, a wonderful backdrop, great characters, drama, humour and most importantly, romance.  The first series certainly gave everyone a lift after the pandemic.  It’s a lighter, more modern interpretation of Regency life and very different from how Jane Austen’s work is usually translated onto the screen. I say usually because I did begin watching Netflix’s recent adaptation of Persuasion. Unfortunately I didn’t get very far. Trying to give Austen a modern makeover sadly didn’t work.  Jane would not have been best pleased!

3.)              Are the titles of your books important?

Absolutely. They have to have some connection to the book. At first I used song titles – usually the title had been chosen before the book had been finished. Then when I began writing my Cornish trilogy in 2020 the title of the first book – Shadows on the Water was there right from the start so I decided to use it. The second book, A Kingswater Summer was another title that arrived early and seemed right. The last book – The Secrets We Keep – wasn’t as easy.  I went through a series of suggestions which seemed to work, then didn’t.  A bit of a mental tussle but I got there in the end.

4.)              If you’re struggling with a scene or difficult character, what methods help you through it?

In my early days as a newbie writer, I really wrestled with scenes that weren’t working, or characters that had decided to go in a totally different direction than the one I planned for them. Head and brick wall are two words that come to mind. Now if a scene isn’t working, it very often means it’s not meant to be. In the early planning stages there are often scenes that seem to work well, until I begin writing them. When that happens, I take a step back and try to figure a way around the problem, but if that doesn’t work, it’s back to square one.  I’m no longer fazed by this bump in the road, it’s all part of the creative process. 

5.)              Are you an early bird or a night owl?

Definitely an early bird. Weekends might find us at friends for dinner or out for a meal in town which usually means a late night. However, as soon as I’m awake, I’m up.  I can’t bear to waste a minute of the day. During summer months when it’s light around five am and the local dawn chorus gets underway, I very often settle in the office, curl up in a chair and read, or maybe write.  I can do the night owl thing when I need to but I particularly love those early summer mornings when everything is fresh, and the world hasn’t quite woken up.

6.)              Who’s your favourite author? Why?

That’s a very difficult question. I have so many favourite authors. I have quite a varied taste in reading – anything from psychological thrillers and historical fiction to contemporary romance.  Currently, Nora Roberts has featured a lot on my Kindle.  I chose one of her books quite by accident and enjoyed it so much I’ve been downloading her novels regularly.  I love her writing style and there’s a great mix of romance and suspense in her stories.

7.)              Do you have a pet peeve?

Yes, people who cross the road with their head down glued to their mobile. I come across this so many times, especially at pedestrian crossings in town. The traffic stops, you start to cross the road and suddenly there’s someone heading straight for you with their eyes fixed on their phone.  It’s even more irresponsible if they’re pushing a child in a buggy. And yes, I’ve seen that too!

8.)              Can you tell me a little about your next project?

I’m currently on final edits of the third part of my Cornish trilogy.  Having deferred my August publication date, I now plan to publish in the New Year. This book has been particularly difficult as I’ve had a few health issues which have caused a bit of a stop/start situation throughout this year. Now I’m firmly back in the writing seat and things are going well.  The Secrets We Keep will be published late January/early February 2023.

BLURB

A KINGSWATER SUMMER

Book 2 in the Cornish Coastal Trilogy

 

KIERA

Newly returned from backpacking around Europe, Kiera Merrick has landed a dream job - working for actress Stella Wynter, helping set up a memory room at Penmarra, her beautiful riverside home just outside Kingswater.  

JAKE

Jake Paterson is currently staying with Stella after filming the final series of his popular TV drama. He is trying to work out how to get his co-star and long-term girlfriend Rachel Tyler back after she walked out on him. But Jake soon finds himself drawn to Kiera, developing feelings for her that have no place in his life. He realises painful choices will eventually have to be made. And someone is going to get hurt.

TOM

Stella’s godson, hapless Tom Armytage is also staying at Penmarra along with girlfriend Chantal. He dreams of becoming a successful property developer and hopes Chantal’s dynamic presence will boost his ambitions. To impress her he boasts that he is heir to all of Stella’s wealth.

CHANTAL

Chantal Porter is a woman used to getting her own way. Tom is her ideal partner; weak and easily manipulated. Listening to him talk about his inheritance, she likes the idea of being Penmarra’s next mistress.  But Stella and Jake’s close relationship gives her cause for concern. Who is he? And could he be a threat to her future ambitions?

As Jake comes to a difficult decision and sets off for London to sort things out with Rachel,  a heart broken Kiera is left to watch helplessly as Chantal puts in place a plan to secure Tom’s inheritance. One that will change Stella’s life for ever. 

A Kingswater Summer is a story  of love, deception, and family secrets…

BUY: https://geni.us/VUTE

BIO & LINKS:

 Author Bio –  Jo Lambert lives on the eastern edge of Bath in Somerset. She is the author of eleven novels all set in the West Country. The first five collectively known as the Little Court Series follow the lives and loves of four young girls from their teenage years in the 1960s through to the 1990s. For book number six she migrated across the border into South Devon. Summer Moved On became the first of two linked contemporary romances. The second, Watercolours in the Rain was published in October 2016.

In 2018 Jo signed to publisher Choc Lit and her debut A Cornish Affair was published in June 2019.  Shadows on the Water, the first book in a new Cornish trilogy was published in July 2020. The sequel, A Kingswater Summer followed in August 2021 and she is currently working on the final part of the series.

When she isn’t writing she reads, reviews and has an active blog.

Jo loves everything Italy, red wine and when she’s not writing often takes the odd photograph or two.

 Social Media Links –

Website: http://jolambertbooks.com

Blog: http://jolambertwriter.blog

Twitter: @jolambertwriter

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jolambert185

Instagram: jolambertwriter185

 


  

 


No comments

Post a Comment