GUEST AUTHOR SATURDAY!! Please welcome contemporary romance author Lynne Shelby...


Hi Lynne and welcome back to my blog! I am so looking forward to reading your post AND your latest release ROME FOR THE SUMMER. Rome is one of my favourite places on the planet and I am desperate to go back, so I'll leave it to you to transport me there in the meantime...
 

Researching Rome For The Summer

Lynne Shelby

As I write contemporary romance, my research until now has mainly consisted of talking to people who do the same job as my heroine to get an idea of how she would spend her working day, or re-visiting my book’s location to check that I’ve remembered it correctly – and that the beautiful view I want my heroine to gaze at hasn’t been obscured by a newly-built tower-block! But when it came to my new book, Rome For The Summer, I found myself doing more research than ever before.

In the book, my heroine Kate Harper has always loved the painting that has hung in her parents' dining room for years, never suspecting that it is worth a fortune. When her art dealer boyfriend cheats her family out of the proceeds of the painting's sale, she is left devastated. Discovering that two hundred years ago, the girl in the painting – Charlotte Browne – ran off to Rome with the artist who painted her portrait, her eventual fate unknown, Kate seizes the chance of a summer job in Rome, hoping to uncover the mystery of what happened to her.

While I wouldn’t describe Rome For The Summer as a dual-timeline novel, the surprising secrets of Charlotte’s life in Rome, which Kate starts to piece together as she – along with my artist hero, Jamie Taylor – explores the city, have a direct bearing on the present, and unfold in parallel with Kate and Jamie’s story. Wanting to be sure that the scenes set in 1816 could have happened during the Regency, I read up on the era both on-line and in books, and found the history – particularly the lives of nineteenth century women – to be fascinating. Not  all of my research made it into the book, but it was there in the back of my mind as I wrote about Charlotte, mirroring her reactions to Rome in 1816 with Kate’s in 2016.

At the beginning of the book, Kate is working in an art gallery, and although I enjoy visiting galleries and museums, I’ve never worked in one and don’t know anyone who has, so I looked up the sort of tasks working in a gallery would entail –  finding several jobs Kate would have loved to apply for posted on-line on recruitment websites! I also found out more about the art world, such as how paintings are valued and sold at auction, so that I could be sure that the underhand actions of Kate’s nefarious boyfriend were possible.

I’ve visited Rome several times, and would have loved to go back on a research trip to make sure I’d remembered things like the nearest metro station to the Colosseum correctly – not that you need the excuse of a research trip to visit Rome – but with travel restrictions still in place when I was writing the book, I turned to photos, videos, and Google maps. Fortunately, when I was in Rome a few years ago, I threw a coin in the Trevi Fountain to ensure I will return some day – as Kate is advised to do in the book.

I hope that readers of Rome For The Summer will enjoy exploring the city along with Kate and Jamie – and Charlotte – as much as I did.


Buy link (CTRL+ click):

Rome for the Summer: A feel-good, escapist summer romance about finding love and following your heart eBook : Shelby, Lynne: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Blurb:

Kate Harper has always loved the painting that has hung in her parents' dining room for years, never suspecting that it is worth a fortune. When her art dealer boyfriend cheats her family out of the proceeds of the painting's sale, she is left devastated and alone.

Kate discovers that two hundred years ago, the girl in the painting, Charlotte Browne, ran off to Rome with the artist who painted her portrait, but her eventual fate is unknown.

Hoping to uncover the mystery of what happened to Charlotte, Kate seizes the chance of a summer job in Rome, where she strikes up a friendship with Jamie Taylor, an English artist. As they explore the city and start to piece together the surprising secrets of Charlotte's life, Kate finds herself wondering if a summer in Rome can mend a broken heart...

Bio:

Lynne Shelby writes contemporary women's fiction and romance. Her debut novel, French Kissing, now re-released in ebook as Meet Me In Paris, won the Accent Press and Woman magazine Writing Competition, and her fifth novel, Love On Location, was shortlisted for a Romantic Novelists’ Association Award. When not writing or reading, Lynne can usually be found at the theatre or exploring a foreign city with her writer's notebook, camera and sketchbook in hand. She lives in London with her husband and has three adult children who live nearby.

Website: www.lynneshelby.com

Twitter: @LynneShelby5

Facebook: www.facebook.com/LynneShelbyWriter

Instagram: lynneshelbywriter

 

 

No comments

Post a Comment