SAGA SATURDAY!! Welcome 20th century saga author Sylvia Broady...


Thank you to the lovely Rachel for the opportunity to feature on her Saga Saturday Blog. 

Let me introduce myself, I am Sylvia Broady and I write historical sagas set in the 1930s to 1950s. The location is the diverse city of my birth, Kingston upon Hull with the River Hull running through its heart, and the beautiful county of East Yorkshire. Steeped in history and with a wealth of interesting characters. This is where I draw the strength of my stories from. During WW2, the enemy targeted Hull relentlessly. I treasure stories told to me of people’s memories of those darkest days and their survival.
In A TIME FOR PEACE, I use an incident witnessed by my late husband when a young boy. March 1945, and Rose, the main character, goes to meet her parents who were leaving the cinema, when an enemy aircraft dropped a bomb and guns down 34 people, killing 12. Then in May, following the victory of the war, with peace comes unforeseen problems.  Men come home demobbed, expecting to be master. But women coped, keeping their children feed and safe without the help of men. How will they survive peace?    
DAUGHTER OF THE SEA, based around the Humber Estuary, which is the gateway to the North Sea and the oceans beyond, is paramount to this story. I am interested in the wives of trawlermen.  In my research, a lot is written about the men, but little of the women in this tight-knit community. Digging deep and talking to a local historian, I discovered hidden stories of women and the tragedies and the heartbreaks they faced. With the death of their husbands at sea, penniless, they are in danger of losing their children to the authorities. Do they have the strength to deal with such adversity?  



No comments

Post a Comment