Inspiration Behind My Next Series...

 I'm often asked how I decide which book or series to write next and the answer is often simple - I am fascinated with a issue, a place or occupation. A lot of writers begin their stories with a character who might have popped into their head fully-formed or may have just provided a snippet of dialogue... or, better still, the writer can hear their voice.

For me, my books tend to start outside of the characters and it's my job to find the right characters to tell their stories.

My next trilogy takes place between the years 1851 and 1853 and centres around three women living and working in a brothel. I was inspired to research prostitution and the women who worked in the sex trade after reading The Five by Hallie Rubenhold and Courtesans by Katie Hickman. Two absolutely brilliant books...

Women who found themselves working as prostitutes, whether on the street or in an establishment, were often from entirely different backgrounds with different stories and this sparked such a passion in me that I knew I had to write a series where I could give at least three of these strong, determined and resilient women a deserved happily ever after.

Thus, my new Victorian series was born! I pitched it to my editor at Aria Fiction and she offered me a three-book contract within a few days.

The first book is Louisa's story and I hope it will be published in the Autumn this year... happy reading!

Rachel x

My latest book is out now - A SHOP GIRL AT SEA released on the 9th April and the 5 star reviews are coming in!

Blurb & Buy Links:

Bath, 1912.
Amelia Wakefield loves working at Pennington's, Bath's finest department store. An escape from her traumatic past, it saved her life. So when Miss Pennington sets her a task to set sail on the Titanic and study the department stores of New York, she couldn't be more excited – or determined!
Frustrated with his life at home, Samuel Murphy longs for a few weeks of freedom and adventure. Meeting Amelia on board the Titanic, Samuel can't help wonder what painful history has made the beauty so reserved. But he already has too many responsibilities for love.
Ruby Taylor has always kept her Pennington co-workers at a distance. Making sure her little brother is safe has always been her priority. But when that means accepting Victoria Lark's offer of sanctuary, more than one of Ruby's secrets is under threat of being revealed...
A riveting and uplifting saga, perfect for fans of Elaine Everest and Fiona Ford.

Barnes & Noble: https://bit.ly/2V7Xwnf


No comments

Post a Comment