Inspire Me...


This week's Inspire Me! is focusing on broadcast journalist and TV celebrity, Barbara Walters.

I first discovered Barbara Walters while watching the Oprah Winfrey show many, many years ago. Ms Walters quickly became an inspiration to me alongside Oprah. Here were two women who had the guts and charisma to voice their views loudly and proudly, to interview criminals, politicians, actors and the general public in a way that meant those questions we really wanted asked were and, more importantly, answered.

As I immersed myself in Ms Walter's career, the more I came to conclusion that I wanted to be a journalist, a woman not afraid to stand up for her beliefs and the issues that had a profound effect on me. Unfortunately, my wish to study journalism was cut short by a change in family circumstances but, by no means, did Ms Walter's influence on my life falter.

Even today, I stop short whenever I hear her speak or see a re-run of a famous interview. She is softly spoken but firm in her pursuit for the truth, takes no prisoners and is far from intimidated, not matter how controversial or wealthy the interviewee.

For me, here is a woman who reinforced the path that had started in the 60s & 70s that women could match men in so many careers including journalism, television and presenting. Still in demand to host interviews and shows today, Ms Walters eight-nine in September and she is still going strong.

Bravo!

Happy Inspiration Day...

Rachel x


No comments

Post a Comment