Welcome romantic comedy author, Suzie Tullett...


1.      

      Hi Suzie! Welcome to my blog - I'm looking forward to hearing more about you and your latest release, THE FRENCH ESCAPE :) Let's kick things off with my questions...

What did you want to be when you grew up?

What a lovely question, although it’s probably easier to ask what didn’t I want to be? Growing up, I loved animals. I was one of those children that brought home stray dogs and cats, only to be told to take them straight back. Each time I’d be heartbroken and becoming a vet was definitely on my list of ambitions. As was being an interpreter, my ultimate dream being to host the Eurovision Song Contest. I loved that show, it was a real TV event in our house. My mum, my sisters and I would settle down to an evening of cheesy songs and politics, rightly or wrongly predicting the winning country. Call me sad, but I still watch it the Eurovision to this day. I also wanted to be a teacher and, of course, a writer, something my own teachers at secondary school encouraged. Wonderfully, thanks to becoming a novelist and writing tutor I’ve managed to combine both, so that’s two career goals from my youth that I’ve managed to achieve.

2.      Coffee, tea or hot chocolate?

Coffee, I’m an absolute coffee fiend. Although I have to say I do like a nice hot chocolate on a cold winter’s night.

3.      What genre do you typically read? Why?

As a reviewer for the Central Brittany Journal here in France, I tend to read all sorts of genres. From psychological thrillers, to women’s fiction, to cosy mysteries and more off-beat reads, I think it’s important to showcase a bit of everything. If I’m reading for pleasure though I tend to stick to humorous fiction or romantic comedy. With so much negativity in world right now, I want to escape into a book that’s going to make me laugh. Humour’s a great antidote.

4.      Share a favourite childhood memory

You mean other than my evenings watching the Eurovision Song Contest?
When I was about 7 years old, I won a book token at school. I don’t think I’ll ever forget my excitement as I walked into the book shop, knowing I could choose any book I wanted from the numerous shelves in front of me. I chose The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton, quickly devouring the whole four titles in the series. I loved the characters – Moon Face, Silky the fairy, Mr Saucepan Man, Dame Washalot and the angry Pixie… each drawn to perfection when it comes to a child’s imagination. They, Joe, Beth and Frannie had such adventures in the enchanted wood and I was there, in the story, experiencing everything alongside. I’ve always been a massive reader, but whenever anyone asks what my favourite book was as a child The Enchanted Wood is the first title I think of.
Which brings me to present day…
My four-year-old Grandson came to visit recently, a little boy who I’m pleased to say has inherited my love of reading. We talked about our favourite books and his eyes lit up when I told him about the Enchanted Wood and the Faraway Tree. So that night I downloaded the first in the series and each evening at bedtime we’d read a couple of chapters. I could see his concentration as he pictured the scenes, the characters and the different lands that they visited. He really was in their world just like I was all those years ago. In fact, he loved it so much we continued his bedtime reading even after his visit via video call, something we’re still doing now.

5.      Do you have any shameless addictions? i.e. Tea, Books, Shoes, Clothes?

As you can imagine, my To Be Read pile is stacked high and, as I keep adding to it, I’m not sure I’ll ever get to the bottom. And I do love a nice pair of shoes. I have boxes and boxes of high heels that I never wear because I can’t walk in them, but in my defence they’re all sooooo pretty.

6.      What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

For me, the challenge is getting into the flow of writing that first draft. You’d think it would be easy considering I’m a planner. Before I even type chapter one I know whose story I’m telling and why. I usually have a chapter breakdown, so I know where the plot points are and how I’m going to get from the beginning to the end. But no, putting my bum on that seat and getting into the zone takes some real doing. Once there, however, I’m pleased to report I’m off and flying.

7.      Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

I begin each day telling myself where I’d like to be come the end of it, but as is often the case writing isn’t that straight forward. Sometimes I’m wrangling over a paragraph that takes forever to get down but come the end I know it’s a good paragraph. At other times, the words are pouring out and I can write reams. I probably tend to think longer term and rather than set strict daily goals, I give myself a deadline for finishing the whole novel. That way I can take account of all the ebbs and flows.

8.      What are your thoughts on writing a book series?

Up to now my novels have all been standalone, although writing a series is something I’ve often thought I’d like to do. I suppose I just have to come up with an idea that grabs me enough to want to stick with it, after all, writing a series is quite a commitment.


BLURB & BUY LINK:

"A fabulously fun and uplifting read. Loved it.Sarah Hardy - By The Letter Book Reviews
"Charming and thoroughly enjoyable" Rachel Gilbey - Reviewer 

It’s fair to say that Flick has had a terrible year. Her beloved father died, she had the wedding of her dreams and only hours after the ceremony her husband ran out on her. 

Brenda, fed up with her daughter living like a hermit, decides to drag Flick off to France to stay in a chateau. What could be better than an idyllic escape?
But when they arrive Flick discovers the chateau is all but abandoned.
The only upside of her French escape is the handsome and mysterious neighbour, Nate.
Nate loves his life living in the cottage on the grounds of the abandoned chateau but that is about to be put in jeopardy…
Can Nate and Flick ever learn to come to terms with the past and find love again?

What everyone is saying about The French Escape:

"I loved this book! The characters were delightful, the setting was dreamy and the story perfectly paced, with some surprises." Kaye Barley - reviewer
"a feel good, easy and satisfying read." Joan Hill - Reviewer 
"a really lovely book, full of happily ever afters, family, friendship, love, happiness, funny moments and idyllic French countryside" Karen Whittard  - reviewer
"The story has all the right ingredients in the right proportions to make you go all warm and fuzzy." Shree Janani - reviewer 
Suze Tullett is the author of Little White Lies and Butterflies and The Trouble With Words. The French Escape is an uplifting and laugh-out-loud Romantic comedy which will appeal to fans of authors like Sue Roberts, Marian Keyes and Sarah Morgan.

Amazon UK: http://amzn.eu/d/bonWKyg

BIO:

My author bio is:

Suzie Tullett is an author of contemporary humorous fiction and romantic comedy. Her novels include Going Underground, Little White Lies and Butterflies, which was short-listed for The Guardian's Not the Booker Prize, The Trouble with Words and The French Escape. She has a Masters Degree in Television & Radio Scriptwriting and worked as a scriptwriter before becoming a full-time novelist. Suzie is lucky enough to live between the Yorkshire Dales in the UK and a tiny hamlet in the middle of the French countryside, along with her husband and two Greek rescue dogs. When she's not busy creating her own literary masterpieces, she usually has her head in someone else’s.
.

2 comments

  1. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage.I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again. comedyshow.to

    ReplyDelete