IT'S GUEST AUTHOR SATURDAY!! Please welcome women's fiction author Judith Barrow...


Hi Judith and welcome to my blog! We had quite a few email exchanges to get you here today, but here we are and I am so looking forward to chatting with you - let's kick things off with my questions...

What was your first job? Did you like or dislike it? Why?

I worked in various Civil Service departments throughout my career. My first job was in the Inland Revenue, (the Tax Office). I thoroughly disliked it: I’ve loved those departments where I could meet different people throughout the week, but in the tax office there was no chance to interact with anyone other than those who worked in the office. And working with numbers and calculators! All day! As I hated Maths in school, goodness only knows what I expected when I applied for the job. Luckily, I was only there a year before I had promotion to another department – and that’s another story!

Do you have a pet peeve? If so what is it?

I have two (hmm, does that make me intolerant, I wonder?) The one that’s a slight irritation is the one I suspect irritates many: “Would of” instead of “Would’ve, or “Would have”. The problem is so prevalent I’m guessing that one day it will just be accepted into the English language. Oh, and the way some people being interviewed on television start a sentence with, “So…” or “I mean…” when they haven’t prefaced it with a sentence to be qualified. And…and … um, I’d better stop there… I’m not really that pedantic. Honest!

But my biggest pet peeve is being in the company of people who are constantly looking at their mobiles, especially at mealtimes. It’s the equivalent of talking to someone in a room while they look over your shoulder to see who else is around. I wish I were as brave as a friend of mine, who tells her family to put their phones in a basket at the door when they come into her house. I’m guessing I wouldn’t get away with that with my family. Now that activity has entered the English language, it’s called…Phubbing. 

Do you spend more time researching or writing?

I’d like to say writing, but researching is a weakness – I begin knowing exactly what it is I’m researching. But then something catches my eye, and I think,” I didn’t know that!”, and away I go. From one interesting fact to another until I’m well away from the original subject. Although I do have to say, I’ve always managed to squirrel away quite a lot of interesting facts for future writing.

Tell me about your book, Sisters, and where you got your inspiration for it?

Sisters is based around an accident and a lie that tears two sisters’ family apart, and the consequences. Its basis is the balance between the ambiguity of familial love and duty, resentment and hatred.

The inciting incident in the story is similar to something I saw as a child. And I saw the repercussions of it within the family affected. It stayed in my mind for a long time.

How much of your book is realistic?

All my books are about families and relationships, Sisters is much the same; so, I hope they are all realistic. The fact of being human, means we are all complex and multi-layered. And the situations that arise in families, through events, subjectivity, and emotions, are played out in different ways between each member, depending on their place within that family. That’s something I’ve always found fascinating.

What are your ambitions for your writing career?

To continue writing for as long as I can. And carry on hoping that my readers enjoy reading my books as much as I enjoy writing them.

Who is your role model?

I’ve had various role models throughout my life: teachers, relatives, friends; people I’ve admired and hoped to emulate. I always try to be tolerant (this despite my pet peeves above, lol). And I think it important to be kind and accept people for who they are. Some months ago, I heard Juliet Stevenson speaking on the radio. What she said impacted on me a great deal; her compassion, her understanding of the world as it is today, her wish to make things as good as she could for those she loves, made me think long and hard about my life, and the way forward.

Share one fact about yourself that would surprise people.

Gosh, I don’t know; I think I’m rather boring and predictable. Let me think…

Perhaps a trivial fact? I support Wigan Warriors (rugby league). Or, that despite the façade I present to the world, I worry about the most trivial things, battle with nerves and am often ill before giving a talk at book events. Actually, I shouldn’t have admitted it!  I’ll go away and have a worry about that now…

BLURB & LINK:


A powerful story of domestic violence, courage and forgiveness.

An accident and a terrible lie tear a family apart. When sixteen-year-old Angie

blames her younger sister for their brother’s death, she changes their lives

forever. Lisa is sent away, Angie spirals into self-destruction and they don’t

speak for thirteen years.

Returning in 1983 for their mother’s funeral, Lisa quickly realises her sister is

trapped in a dangerous marriage.

What does Lisa owe to the family that betrayed her? And if she tries to help,

will she make things more dangerous for them all?


BUY: https://geni.us/GW04W 

BIO:


Judith Barrow,originally from Saddleworth, a group of villages on the edge of the Pennines, has lived in Pembrokeshire, Wales, for over forty years.


She has an MA in Creative Writing with the University of Wales Trinity St David's College, Carmarthen. BA (Hons) in Literature with the Open University, a Diploma in Drama from Swansea University. She is a Creative Writing tutor and holds workshops on all genres.

3 comments

  1. I enjoyed your interview. Also your pet peeves. I think I'm one of those who starts every conversation with "So...." Maybe I need to think about that! Your book sounds fascinating...and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just o ne of my foibles, Liz. I probably have many habits/way of speaking that annoys others. And thank you for your kind words about Sisters. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, thank you so much for this. I'm sorry I'm late getting here - real life family stuff took over this last weekend. I really appreciate you hosting me. x

    ReplyDelete