It's Guest Author Saturday!! Please welcome saga author, Lesley Eames...

Hi, Lesley! It's been so long since we've spoken I am thrilled to welcome you back to my blog - I hope  you've been well. You have a brand new release THE WARTIME BOOKSHOP which sounds just up my street - let's get things started with my questions...

1)    What is the best and worse thing you have learned from an editor/agent?

 

The best thing I’ve learned is to have more confidence as a writer. My current agent, Kate Nash of the Kate Nash Literaary Agency, is great for spurring me on. The worst thing I’ve learned was more in the nature of a challenge in that my first book, The Runaway Women in London had to be shortened from almost 140,000 words to around 100,000. I don’t think I’m a particularly wordy writer as I have a background in writing short stories for women’s magazines, some of which were only 1,000 words in length. It was therefore a little daunting to reduce a story by more than a quarter. However, I knuckled down and managed to get to the published length of 108,000 words. I need wine afterwards.

 

2)    What is your typical day?

 

Ideally I write every day, including at weekends, depending on family and social commitments. Working at weekends means I feel I’m entitled to take time off mid-week if necessary or if someone invites me out to play. My day is broken up with domestic necessities such as washing, shopping, gardening and – deep breath because I hate it – cleaning, as well as phone calls with my lovely daughters. I also tutor and mentor other writers so that work has to be fitted in too.

 

3)    What do you read while in the midst of a project? Or don’t you?

 

I always have a book on the go. I don’t often have time to sit and read for any length of time but I love to read in the bath at the end of the day.

 

4)    What do you do with a paperback once you’ve read it?

My daughters consider me a terrible book hoarder and they’re right. I don’t have a problem parting with books I haven’t particularly enjoyed but I do struggle with others. If I think my daughters or their dad will like a book I pass it on to them. These books invariably end up back at my house so I tend to donate them – and any other books I can bear to part from – to one of the two book hutches near where I live. These are mini libraries in people’s gardens. I might also donate some books to charity shops.

 

5)    Are you nervous about friends reading your book?

I’m nervous about anyone reading my books and start babbling on about how they aren’t any good so it’s fine not to buy them. This is why it’s great to have such an encouraging agent.

 

6)    What things inspire you to write? Location, music, film or even in a book?

 

My books tend to come out of the ether rather than being inspired by anything specific. Having said that, I find my ideas flow best if I stare at the sky. I call it floating.

 

7)     What’s next for you?

 

The Wartime Bookshop is a three-book series so I’m working on the second book at present. The third book also. Eek! Lots to do!



 

BLURB:


The first in a brand-new nostalgic and heart-warming WWII series, perfect for fans of Donna Douglas and Elaine Everest.

Alice is nursing an injured hand and a broken heart when she moves to the village of Churchwood at the start of WWII. She is desperate to be independent but worries that her injuries will make that impossible.

Kate lives with her family on Brimbles Farm, where her father and brothers treat her no better than a servant. With no mother or sisters, and shunned by the locals, Kate longs for a friend of her own.

Naomi is looked up to for owning the best house in the village. But privately, she carries the hurts of childlessness, a husband who has little time for her and some deep-rooted insecurities.

With war raging overseas, and difficulties to overcome at home, friendship is needed now more than ever. Can the war effort and a shared love of books bring these women - and the community of Churchwood - together?



BIO:

 

Lesley has 90 published short stories to her credit alongside four historical sagas set around the time of WW1 and into the Roaring 20s. The Wartime Bookshop is her fifth book and her first venture into the WW2 period. Originally from the north west of England (Manchester), Lesley's home is now Hertfordshire where The Wartime Bookshop's fictional village of Churchwood is set. Along her journey as a writer, Lesley has been thrilled to have enjoyed success in competitions as varied as crime writing to writing for children. She is particularly honoured to have won the Festival of Romance New Talent Award, the Romantic Novelists' Association's Elizabeth Goudge Cup and to have been twice shortlisted in the UK Romantic Novel Awards (RONAs).


Web: www.lesleyeames.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/LesleyEamesWriter

Twitter: @LesleyEames

 

No comments

Post a Comment