IT'S GUEST AUTHOR SATURDAY!! Please welcome Boldwood Books author, Kate Frost...

 


Hi Kate! It so wonderful to welcome you back to my blog for Guest Author Saturday - I hope you're well and keeping busy. Your new book AN ITALIAN DREAM is out now and I am looking forward to hearing all about it. Wishing you lots of sales! Let's get started with my interview...

1.)                What genre do you typically read? Why?

I actually read all sorts of genres, but my go to genre is historical fiction particularly set in Roman, Viking, the Dark Ages and Elizabethan times. Although I mainly write women’s fiction and romances, I do love darker fiction and I’m not at all put off by battles and gore! I love the history and that the fiction is grounded in reality. I also find it helpful to read something completely different to what I’m writing.

2.)                Share a favourite childhood memory.

My grandparents lived on a farm in north Norfolk and I have wonderful memories of spending every Christmas and some summers there while growing up. I remember at the height of summer my brother and I taking a packed lunch to my grandad and watching him on the combine harvester while we played in a huge heap of straw – summer heat, dust, scratchy straw, fresh air, freedom and the rumble of the combine. A wonderful memory from a childhood littered with happy times. I was very lucky.  

3.)                Do you have any shameless addictions? ie. Tea, Books, Shoes, Clothes?

Coffee! Or to be more specific, caramel lattes. Not good for me, I know, but it fuels my writing (and helps me to function first thing in the morning!).

4.)                What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

Besides going from a blank page to 80K words, the biggest challenge is in the first edit after (in my case) the very rough first draft is written. The challenge of tying all the strands of the book together, the characters, their interaction, back story and their journey throughout the book to hopefully a satisfactory happy ever after always worries me, but somehow I get there in the end.

5.)                Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

Yes, generally I aim to write 2000 words a day, but on a recent writing retreat where it was just me in a cabin in Wales for two days (utter bliss!), I aimed for a daily target of 5000 words and managed to write 12,000 words in that time. I couldn’t keep that up on a daily basis though!

6.)                What are your thoughts on writing a book series?

I really enjoy writing a book series and being able to revisit characters and places, however the novels I’m currently writing for Boldwood are all standalone romantic escape novels although the linking theme is different characters on beautiful islands (Skopelos and Capri so far, Madeira and Iceland will feature in the next two books). My Romantic Escape series also has standalone books but I’ve linked them together as, from a marketing point of view, it made sense to encourage readers to easily move on to the next one (if they liked the first of course!). In many ways I’ve made it harder for myself by having to create a whole new setting and characters for each book, and perhaps one day I’ll return to my The Butterfly Storm series (set in Greece and north Norfolk) and write a continuation of those books or perhaps a new series entirely!

 

Follow your heart and then your dreams…

Best friends since childhood, Fern Chambers and Stella Shaw have been through everything together and are at a crossroads in their lives. Carefree Stella has a monumental secret and put upon Fern’s happy life is not all it seems.

With their 40th birthdays approaching, a luxury holiday to the island of Capri is a chance for them to reconnect, let their hair down and celebrate in style. But untold truths and frustration bubble beneath the surface, turning what should be a holiday of a lifetime into an opportunity to make life-changing decisions.

Far from home, where anything feels possible, secrets are revealed, heartache is shared, love discovered and new friendships forged.

Will their Italian dream turn into a nightmare or lead to newfound happiness? 




And here’s my bio and links: 

Kate Frost is the author of bestselling romantic escape novels (One Greek SummerThe Baobab Beach RetreatA Starlit SummerThe Amsterdam Affair, The Love Island Bookshop and The Greek Heart), character-driven women’s fiction (The Butterfly Storm series) and Time Shifters, a time travel adventure trilogy for children. She has a MA in Creative Writing from Bath Spa University, where she also taught lifewriting to creative writing undergraduates.

In 2021, Kate signed a six-book deal with Boldwood for a series of standalone romantic escape novels. The first book, One Greek Summer, was published in March 2022 and is an Amazon UK top 30 bestseller, and the second, An Italian Dream, is out on the 7th July.

Kate lives in Bristol with her husband and son. As well as writing novels, she’s also the Director of Storytale Festival, a new city-wide children’s book festival that she co-founded in Bristol in 2019 with the ethos of making books accessible to all and encouraging children and teens to read, write and be creative. Kate feels incredibly  lucky to spend her days writing and being immersed in books. 

No comments

Post a Comment