Please welcome One More Chapter debut author, Linda Corbett...


Hi Linda, welcome to my blog! I am so happy to have you here today so my readers and I can find out more about you and your debut novel LOVE YOU FROM A-Z (great title, by the way!). Shall we kick things off with my questions??
 

1.)                What genre do you typically read? Why?

Unsurprisingly I love reading romance books. I have made lots of friends through membership of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, and I always enjoy reading a book by someone I’ve got to know. I also enjoy the occasional psychological thriller (as long as they are not too scary or violent) – Lisa Jewell and Louise Candlish both feature on my keep shelf. I love it when someone recommends something that totally surprises me, for example the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry or the quirky but brilliant Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared.

2.)                Share a favourite childhood memory.

I loved competitions as a child and came across one where you had to guess how many tins of a particular (cheap) brand of dog food would fit inside a mini. The prize was the mini itself, which I was determined to win for my Mum to replace her very tired old car. You had to send in two labels from the tins with each guess so I pestered my mum to keep buying the dogfood even though the dog wasn’t that keen on it. Sadly, I didn’t win so the dog’s culinary stoicism went unrewarded.

3.)                Do you have any shameless addictions? ie. Tea, Books, Shoes, Clothes?

I don’t drink tea but I am partial to a malibu and coke of an evening. Shoes is a difficult one for me as having had multiple surgeries on my foot I have very limited options. However, in other areas there are no such restraints and I have been known to get completely carried away if there’s a book sale within travelling distance, and online offers are even better! I also love papercrafting and can’t go into a craft shop without coming out with a bag stuffed full of goodies. I am totally addicted to chocolate but after reading that dark chocolate is good for you, I felt it was appropriate to re-categorise my favourite Lindt bars from addiction to medicinal, and it surely can’t be a coincidence that it’s nearly got my name on all the packaging…

4.)                What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

For me the first challenge is finding the hook that makes a reader want to read this story. Then there’s the challenge of getting the characters’ backstories right. Once I have their goals and motivation, it helps me to work out why they act as they do. Sometimes I have ideas for interesting scenes but it requires a lot of plot wrangling to make it all fit together. I am definitely a plotter and have a huge admiration for pantsers who can just sit down with a rough idea and bash out 80,000 words.

5.)                Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

I like to have some sort of target wordcount, but if it’s too high I find I get stressed when I don’t meet the target. Alternatively, I write pages of rubbish just to meet an arbitrary number and I then delete most of it the following day. If I set a modest target and then consistently exceed it, I find that works better from a motivational point of view.

6.)                What are your thoughts on writing a book series?

The idea really appeals to me. My debut novel, Love You From A-Z, is set in the fictional town of Haxford, but I have written earlier (unpublished) novels set in the same location, so the town has a feeling of familiarity about it for me. From a reader point of view, I think it’s fun to go back and revisit places you feel you’ve come to know. I also enjoy books where you meet characters that appeared in previous books. It’s like bumping into an old friend!

 

Book Blurb

Experience has told Jenna Oakhurst that Happy Ever After may happen in all the best stories, but Happy For Now is the best one ought to expect in real life. Yet lately even that isn’t quite enough, so when a strange set of circumstances leads her to discover a mysterious letter in an abandoned storage unit, she takes the chance to embark on a journey into the unknown…just like the heroines from the storybooks.

Reaching out to the letter’s author, Henry Somners, changes Jenna’s world irrevocably and she starts to realise that the magic she believed in as a child might not be such a fanciful notion after all…

Link to order: 👉mybook.to/LoveYouFromAToZ

 


Author Bio

Linda Corbett lives in Surrey with her husband and three permanently hungry guinea pigs. She is proud to be a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association and was the recipient of the Katie Fforde Bursary in 2020.

In her spare time, Linda is treasurer for Shine Surrey – a volunteer-led charity that supports individuals and families living with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus. For many years she also wrote a regular column for Link, a disability magazine, illustrating the humorous aspects of life with a complex disability, and she is a passionate advocate of disability representation in fiction.

When not writing, Linda can be found papercrafting, cross stitching, or cuddling guinea pigs. Love You From A-Z is her first published novel.

Social Media Links

Facebook:        https://www.facebook.com/lindacorbettauthor

Twitter:           https://twitter.com/lcorbettauthor

Instagram:       https://www.instagram.com/lindacorbettauthor

No comments

Post a Comment