IT'S GUEST AUTHOR SATURDAY!! Please welcome Choc Lit author Marie Laval...

Hi Marie! I am so thrilled having you here and for the chance to learn more about you and your latest release Queen of the Desert - I am completely in love with the cover, by the way! Let's get started with my questions...

Thank you so much, Rachel for welcoming me on your blog today to talk about my writing and my latest historical romance, QUEEN OF THE DESERT, which was recently released by Choc Lit UK.

1.)              What do you wish you’d known before you started writing?

That it takes ages for a book to be published and that an author needs to learn patience and have a good, trusting relationship with their editor. There is a lot work to be done after the book has been accepted for publication, and a lot of editing and rewriting are often necessary.

2.)              Is there one subject you’d never write about as an author? What is it?

I wouldn’t able to write anything with horror, child cruelty or violence. I can’t even read anything with graphic violence or where children are being abused or hurt.

3.)              Are you a plotter or a pantser?

Definitely a pantser. The extent of my planning is to decide on the setting, the main characters and a plot line or two. As for the rest, it all depends on chance, on my mood and on where my imagination takes me.

4.)              If you could be the original author for any book, which book would it be? Why?

It would have to be Marcel Pagnol’s two autobiographical novels My Father’s Glory and My Mother’s Castle. I read them in French so I don’t know if the English translations do justice to the original novels, but Pagnol’s writing is beautiful and full of emotion and humour, and so evocative of Provence you can smell the lavender, the aniseed and the wild herbs on the sun-parched hillside.

5.)              What are you working on at the moment?

I am trying to complete a Christmas romance set in the Lakes – a kind of follow up from BLUEBELL’S CHRISTMAS MAGIC, but I think I left it too late for this coming Christmas. It is very strange to write about snowy mountains, Christmas trees and mince pies as the sun is shining, the air is lovely and mild and there are daffodils everywhere!

6.)              Do you work on one book at a time? More?

I usually work on a couple of ideas at the same time and like to switch between stories when I get bored or stuck, which happens quite a lot! Taking a step back and leaving the manuscript for a few weeks usually help me get back on track later.

As well as my Christmas romance, I have started two other novels but it has been really hard for me to put aside time for writing these past few months on top of my full-time job. My husband passed away suddenly last year, and there has been – and still is – so much sadness, trauma and turmoil at home for the children and I that writing has been pushed right back. However writing has always given me a space to dream and escape from my worries, and I hope I can soon carve enough time to get back
to it properly.


7.)              Do you have a favourite character in your latest release/

I would find it hard to choose between Harriet Montague and Lucas Saintclair as they are both equally brave and strong. I wanted to write about a heroine who refuses to be bound by the constraints and conventions of Victorian society, and who loves nothing more than working on archaeological sites alongside her father and sketching their finds in her beloved sketchbook. Harriet knows her own mind, and she definitely isn’t made for sipping tea, making polite conversation, or doing her embroidery in the drawing room of her father’s London house. And then of course, there is Lucas Saintclair – the bad boy who seems to care about no one and nothing, apart from money, women and pleasure, and who in fact hides a broken heart and a broken soul... They really are the perfect pair for a dangerous and exciting North African adventure

Blurb for QUEEN OF THE DESERT

Sometimes the most precious treasures exist in the most barren and inhospitable of places …
Harriet Montague is definitely too much of a gentlewoman to be frequenting the backstreet taverns of Algiers. But her father has been kidnapped whilst on an expedition to the tomb of an ancient desert queen, and she’s on a mission to find the only person who could save him.

It’s just unfortunate that Lucas Saintclair, the man Harriet hopes will rescue her father from scoundrels, is the biggest scoundrel of the lot. With a bribe in the form of a legendary pirate treasure map, securing his services is the easiest part – now Harriet must endure a treacherous journey through the desert accompanied by Saintclair’s band of ruffians.

But on the long, hot Saharan nights, is it any wonder that her heart begins to thaw towards her guide – especially when she realises Lucas’s roguish façade conceals something she could never have expected?

QUEEN OF THE DESERT is available as ebook from Amazon and Kobo


Author Bio

Originally from Lyon in France, Marie now lives in Lancashire and writes historical and contemporary romance. Best-selling LITTLE PINK TAXI was her debut contemporary romantic novel with Choc Lit. A PARIS FAIRY TALE was published in July 2019, followed by BLUEBELL’S CHRISTMAS MAGIC in November 2019 and bestselling romantic suspense ESCAPE TO THE LITTLE CHATEAU which was shortlisted for the 2021 RNA Jackie Collins Romantic Suspense Award. HAPPY DREAMS AT MERMAID COVE is her latest contemporary romance. QUEEN OF THE DESERT is Marie’s second historical romance, following on from ANGEL OF THE LOST TREASURE which features another member of the Saintclair family.

She also writes short stories for the bestselling Miss Moonshine anthologies, and is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association and the Society of Authors. Her novels are available as ebooks and audiobooks on Amazon and various other platforms.

Website and/or Blog: http://marielaval.blogspot.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/marielaval1

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/marie.laval.9/

 

 

No comments

Post a Comment