Guest Author Saturday!! Please welcome the fabulous Christina Courtenay....

Hi, Christina and welcome to Guest Author Saturday! I am absolutely thrilled you are here and looking forward to finding out more about your latest release, TEMPTED BY THE RUNES - I have yet to start this series but it's on my 2022 'to be read' list. Let's get started with my questions...

What genre do you typically read? Why?

-          My favourite genres are timeslip and time travel romance because that’s what I enjoy writing myself, but I also like Regency historicals, some contemporary women’s fiction and YA romance. Lately I’ve been reading a lot of New Adult books featuring American ice hockey heroes. I’m half Swedish and love watching ice hockey so although I’m not normally that into sports, these books really resonate with me. And also a series featuring a rock band, which I love!

 

Share a favourite childhood memory.

-          As it’s almost Christmas, one that springs to mind is of my Swedish grandfather reading out loud to us all after we had eaten and opened our presents on Christmas Eve. He read several chapters from Astrid Lindgren’s books about a little boy called Emil (Emil in Lonneberga), and as Emil – and Astrid herself – came from the county in Sweden where we lived, my grandpa was able to render the dialect perfectly, making us all laugh. It was such a magical way to end a special day and I will never forget it.


Do you have any shameless addictions? ie. Tea, Books, Shoes, Clothes?

-          I’m a chocoholic and find it very hard to get through a whole day without some Cadbury’s Bourneville. I also buy a lot of books, I have to admit, although these days it’s mostly ebooks as I get more that way, but if I really like a story I will then also buy it in paperpack so I can put it on my keeper shelves.

 

What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

-          Coming up with a plot that’s unique and that will (hopefully) sweep the reader along and keep them turning the pages.

 

Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

-          No, I can’t work that way. I’m a pantser and I sit down to write when inspiration strikes. Although I try to write every day, if the words are not flowing, I won’t push it. However, if the muse has me in his/her grip, I can carry on writing for ages and won’t stop until I’ve got it all out of my system. Sometimes that means working until the early hours of the morning, but that’s OK because I’m a night owl anyway.

 

What are your thoughts on writing a book series?

-          Until I started writing the series I’m working on at the moment, I had never consciously set out to create a series, but somehow I ended up doing several anyway. Sometimes when you write a story the secondary characters cry out for their own adventures, and then it’s easier to give in and let them have their moment in the spotlight. That happened to me several times. With the Runes series though, it was intended as a series right from the start and I had the characters and a vague idea of their various journeys in my head from the beginning. I knew I wanted to follow the members of two families and that made it easier to plot. I’m really enjoying it and it’s fun to be able to have characters from previous books pop in to see those in the current one.

 

Thank you so much for inviting me!

 

Current book – TEMPTED BY THE RUNES

 

Blurb:-

 

Born centuries apart. Bound by a love that defied time.

She couldn’t believe her eyes. The runes were normally so reliable and she had never doubted them before.

Madison Berger is visiting Dublin with her family for a Viking re-enactment festival, when she chances upon a small knife embedded in the banks of the Liffey. Maddie recognises what the runes on the knife’s handle signify: the chance to have her own adventures in the past.

Maddie only intends to travel back in time briefly, but a skirmish in 9th century Dublin results in her waking up on a ship bound for Iceland, with the man who saved her from attack.

Geir Eskilsson has left his family in Sweden to boldly carve out a life of his own. He is immediately drawn to Maddie, but when he learns of her connection to his sisters-in-law, he begins to believe that Fate has played a part in bringing them together. Amidst the perils that await on their journey to a new land, the truest battle will be to win Maddie’s heart and convince her that the runes never lie…

 

Author bio:-

 

Christina Courtenay writes historical romance, time slip and time travel stories, and lives in Herefordshire (near the Welsh border) in the UK. Although born in England, she has a Swedish mother and was brought up in Sweden – hence her abiding interest in the Vikings. Christina is a former chairman of the UK’s Romantic Novelists’ Association and has won several awards, including the RoNA for Best Historical Romantic Novel twice with Highland Storms (2012) and The Gilded Fan (2014) and the RNA Fantasy Romantic Novel of the year 2021 with Echoes of the RunesTempted by the Runes (time travel published by Headline 9th December 2021) is her latest novel. Christina is a keen amateur genealogist and loves history and archaeology (the armchair variety).

 

Social Media:-

http://www.christinacourtenay.com

https://www.facebook.com/christinacourtenayauthor?fref=ts

https://twitter.com/PiaCCourtenay

https://www.instagram.com/ChristinaCourtenayAuthor/

 

Buy links:-

Amazon UK: https://tinyurl.com/am7xf8zs

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Tempted-Runes-stunning-evocative-adventure-ebook/dp/B08W51RYC5/

Amazon Aus: https://www.amazon.com.au/Tempted-Runes-stunning-evocative-adventure-ebook/dp/B08TTVCDLB/

 

 

No comments

Post a Comment