Challenges of Writing Historical Romance for Modern Readers...



I’m often asked how I manage to write both contemporary and historical romances – do I approach each project in the same way? How much research goes into my historicals compared to my contemporaries? Which sub-genre do I prefer?

These are all valid questions, but the most important thing for me is that my lovely readers love every one of my books, whether contemporary or historical!

When I’m starting a new book of any sub-genre, I begin by focusing on the emotions of the protagonists. What do they want? Why? What happened in their past to make them the people they are today? What’s their biggest fear? They’re biggest life wish?

It’s by focusing on these things that the lines between writing contemporary fiction and historical fiction blur.

Once I’d decided on a department store setting for The Mistress of Pennington’s, I began researching the beginnings of these new, mammoth stores, the people who worked and shopped at them, the retail processes and every other detail I could uncover. Accurately portraying a bygone era is definitely the biggest challenge when writing historical romance for modern readers.

Why? Because readers READ!

It’s inevitable that, one day, a reader will know more about a subject than you. They might have an avid interest in the period. Might know more about the social climate at the time or be an expert in (help!) retail history. A writer cannot allow the prospect of a reader telling the world about an inaccuracy in your work to scare them away from writing the story bursting to be told. All they can ensure is that they do all they can to avoid making a huge, jarring mistake. Research is paramount.

Once I’ve done my research (including other areas that might arise as I’m writing), I embark on my historical novels in the same way I do my contemporary work. For me, it’s about the story unfolding, the development and changes in the characters, that all-important emotion and bringing the tale to a satisfactory ending that leaves my readers with a clear feeling of the period and an empathy for all that the characters have endured.

If I achieve that, I’m happy and, hopefully, I’ve overcome the challenge of writing historical fiction for the modern reader J

Happy Reading!
Rachel x

Don't forget Christmas At Pennington's releases September 19th and is available for preorder right now!

Blurb & Buy Links:


Christmas sees Pennington's at its most glorious, thronged with shoppers, its grand staircase and balcony adorned with holly, mistletoe, tinsel and lights. It should be the happiest time, but dramas are seething beneath the surface.
For Cornelia Culford, in charge of jewellery, a divorce hearing looms, where she could lose custody of her young sons to her overbearing and unfaithful husband.
For Stephen Gower, being head of security at Pennington's is the perfect refuge from a tragic past at Scotland Yard. But soon the past will call him back, as Joseph Carter and Elizabeth Pennington beg him to help solve the murder of Joseph's first wife, now that it seems as if the killer has struck again.
For Joseph and Elizabeth, their marriage depends on exorcising the past. But can it ever be laid to rest?





No comments

Post a Comment