Interview with Jean Moran - author of Tears Of The Dragon...


I am absolutely thrilled to welcome my dear friend and fantastic author, Jean Moran to my blog today - a hugely talented and prolific writer, Jean writes under several pseudonyms including Lizzie Lane and J G Goodhind.

Welcome, Jean! Let's get started with my questions...


1.)              What is the strangest talent you have?  Sometimes I get a nervous apprehension that something – great or otherwise – is about to happen. Perhaps I was a seer or a prophet in a former life. Who knows?

2.)              What is the best Halloween costume you’ve ever worn?  I’ve never worn one. Don’t ever invite me to a fancy dress party. I hate them.

3.)              Are the titles of your books important? Very, simply because they need to jump off the shelf from all the others, so different and intriguing is what I look for. Tears of the Dragon refers to the atrocities that occurred in Hong Kong, China and then Japan after the Second World War.

4.)              If you’re struggling with a scene or difficult character, what methods help you through it?     I’ve just ploughed through the most difficult scene I’ve ever had to attempt – a battle between Romans and Celts (definitely not a romance). Thousands take part in a battle and after much thought, I decided to concentrate on one character and his interaction with what was happening – the events unfolding with his eyes. I did a similar thing in Tears of the Dragon, but that was a battalion, not a whole army. There again the success of the narration depended on the interaction between one or two people and the events unfolding.

5.)              Do you prefer dog, cats or none of the above? I used to show and breed Irish Red Setters and also had German Shepherds after that. I also had cats and horses so overall,l I just love animals.

6.)              Who’s your favourite author? Why?  To be quite honest, I haven’t got a favourite. I had read all six of the C J Sansom, Shardlake novels, though am struggling with the latest one. You’re only as good as your latest book, remember, so it’s books rather than authors who become favourites. Off the top of my head, it’s James Clavell and his novels, King Rat and Shogun. M M Kaye and The Far Pavillions, Margaret Mitchell and Gone with the Wind. I also like the Jack Reacher novels written by Lee Child.

7.)              Do you have a pet peeve? A few. I hate lateness. I’m always on time. With regard to writing, I dislike the lead character in a novel being a writer. It’s such a cop out. I also dislike male writers who write what are basically sagas, being considered far more literal than female writers who do it all the time. I’m thinking Atonement here which I neither liked as a book or a film. All that praise for what women saga writers do all the time.

8.)              Do you remember your dreams when you wake up in the morning? Yes. Vividly. It’s like I enter an alternative world when I’m asleep and I quite look forward to it. Perhaps we dream more vividly as we get older. Great material though.

BLURB:

A sweeping, exotic historical saga for fans of Dinah Jefferies.


One sultry evening in Kowloon, Dr Rowena Rossiter and Sister Alice Huntley are off-duty and in search of fun – little knowing that their world is on the brink of collapse.
That night, Rowena will meet two men who will fight for her heart for the next four years. Connor O'Connor, the rebellious Irish soldier, who will woo and then lose her, and Kim Pheloung. Immensely rich and the most beautiful man Rowena has ever seen, he is also the most ruthless, with a sinister need possess and control.
When the Japanese invasion leaves this previously strong and independent woman raped and broken, who will succeed in claiming Rowena's body and soul? And will she ever learn to love the child born of that terrible Christmas Day?

Amazon Buy Link:




BIO:

Jean Moran was a columnist and editor before writing full-time. She has since published over fifty novels and been a besteller in Germany. Jean was born and brought up Bristol. Her mother, who had endured both the depression and war years, was a natural born storyteller, and it's from her telling of actual experiences of the tumultuous first half of the twentieth century that Jean gets her inspiration. She now lives in Bath.

Facebook:



No comments

Post a Comment