Inspire Me!


This week's Inspire Me! post is dedicated to Almina Herbert, Countess of Carnarvon.

As I'm writing the Pennington's Department Store series, I have become almost obsessed with everything Edwardian and, during a visit to Highclere Castle last year (Downton Abbey), I came across two books written by the current Countess about two previous countesses.

They were both fascinating, but it was the book on Almina that captured my imagination. She could quite possibly become the inspiration behind a later Pennington's book if I continue writing the series into WWI.

Almina became the lady of Highclere castle in 1895 when she married George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon. She was a great society lady and hosted many events at the castle, but it was her act of opening the castle as a hospital for the war wounded that inspires me - especially as she turned down a CBE for her services. Undoubtedly, it was this aspect of Almina's life that inspired Julian Fellowes to include the same happening to Downton Abbey.

A woman who held a high position in a very strait-laced, class dominated era used her privilege and wealth to open her home in order to help men who have served their country in one of our worse wars in our history is something to be admired and commended. Almina was strong, influential and modest. Qualities I admired and do my best to portray in the personalities of every heroine I write.

She was also married to George when he was backing (assisted by Almina's wealth) Howard Carter in the search for Tutankhamun's tomb - her husband and daughter were present when the tomb was opened in November 1922.

I highly recommend you read the current countess' book, Lady Almina and The Real Downton Abbey if you'd like to learn more about this inspirational woman...

Happy Inspiration Day!

Rachel x

No comments

Post a Comment