Welcome fellow Aria Fiction & saga author, Tania Crosse...


 Hi Tania! I am so thrilled to welcome you to blog for the first time and looking forward to learning more about you and your latest release, THE STREET OF BROKEN DREAMS. Let's get started with my questions...

What is the strangest talent you have?

I don’t know that it’s a talent, more of a gift perhaps, but I have the strange capacity to see flash visions. I sometimes wonder if it isn’t my very vivid imagination working overtime, but I’m not entirely convinced either way. I remember donkey’s years ago predicting that there was a car crash shortly ahead because I suddenly envisaged it in my head. Sure enough, we came round a bend and there it was.
In a happier vein, when I saw flash visions of a Victorian workman, a young woman and a sea captain at Morwellham Quay in Devon, I thought they were costumed staff at this living history museum – but they disappeared into thin air. The experience, though, inspired my first historical novel, Morwellham’s Child, that was published by Pan Books and began my writing career.
Another time on our first ever visit to Churchill’s home of Chartwell in Kent, at a time when I wasn’t actually looking for inspiration, the great man himself spoke to me in a vision in the library. I was a young maid and he was thanking me for bringing him some refreshment.When I told my husband, he jokingly said I should write a book about it – entirely the wrong thing to say to an author who bases her books on real life historical situations. But it got me thinking, and I eventually wrote a mini-series, Nobody’s Girl and A Place to Call Home, inspired by that visit and a tragic event in the Churchill’s private lives that I discovered later in the day.

What is the best Halloween costume you’ve ever worn?

In my youth, I was a ballet student and once had the good fortune to dance the role of The Wicked Witch of the West in a ballet production of The Wizard of Oz. I remember the music and the opening steps of my solo as if it were yesterday, leaping across the stage with black cloak swirling about me. I still have that cloak and have worn it a couple of times to Halloween parties. It is no coincidence that in my latest release with Aria Fiction, The Street of Broken Dreams, the sorely tried dancer heroine also performs on this very same stage, losing herself in her art being the only way she can block out the dreadful trauma that has destroyed her life.

Are the titles of your books important?

Absolutely. A title needs to convey the very essence of the book but intrigue the reader at the same time. Publishers often change titles, or ask you to come up with some other ideas and work on it together. Mostly, my titles have been my own suggestions. Out of my fourteen published novels, I’ve only had to settle for two titles that I wasn’t too keen on, and one gloriously lyrical title of mine was never used, but maybe it will in the future. The Street of Broken Dreams was one of three working titles I’d had for my new book, and Aria loved it!

If you’re struggling with a scene or difficult character, what methods help you through it?

I allow myself plenty of thinking time while I’m doing the ironing or out on a walk, for example. Or in the shower, so I sometimes use up all the hot water because I’ve been lost in my own little world, and emerge looking like a wrinkled prune. But once I sit down with my writing pad – being old school, I still write my first draft in longhand – I find all that mental preparation comes into its own. I work my way slowly through a difficult episode, visualising what it would look like if it was a television drama and describing what I see. A critic once said I had a beautifully cinematic technique, so I guess that’s what was meant. In The Street of Broken Dreams there’s a chapter when the three main younger characters travel up to central London on VE Day. Getting all the historical detail correct was tough going, and making things relevant to their personal situations, but I plodded slowly through and the result was everything I could have hoped for.

Do you prefer dogs, cats or none of the above?

Cats always trigger an asthma attack, so I’ve never had the chance to experience having a feline friend. I’m usually OK with dogs, though, and I love them. I had dogs in my youth, but I’ve never had one in my married life. I’m a firm believer that a dog isn’t just for Christmas. I know that to look after a dog properly takes a huge amount of time and effort, and I’ve never felt I could make that commitment. My life has always been too full of other things. Instead, I’ve given some of my characters dogs, but always in a relevant context. To name but a few, I’ve had a sheepdog called Bramble, its descendant called Trojan, and Cherrybrook Rose had what we’d now call a golden labrador – oh, and a horse called Gospel, a real character in himself. The heroine of Nobody’s Girl is a farmer’s daughter, and owns a beloved young collie called Mercury. Sad to say he becomes the victim of a vicious personal vendetta against her, one of many themes in the novel. But it also links into the love story element, so there’s a good side to it, too. But you’ll have to read the book to find out what.

Who’s your favourite author and why?

My favourite author has to be Audrey Howard. She wrote twenty or so brilliant historical novels, and I read every one. They are currently stored in my attic as one day, I want to re-read them. Immersing myself in her books and analysing why they were so good is what allowed me to hone my own craft. She was born in 1929 and sadly there have been no new titles from her for some years. Nowadays, I read books by a variety of authors including some excellent new writers from my own publisher, Aria Fiction. But I would say that I currently enjoy Lesley Pearse most of all, and that’s probably because she’s the author I feel my own writing resembles most, compelling, hard-hitting stories, whether historical or contemporary.

Do you have a pet peeve?

The digital age! I know it’s opened up a whole new world of communication which is good in so many ways, but it has its disadvantages. As a writer of historicals, research used to mean a trip to the Records Office, poring over original documents, census reports, maps, old newspapers, or tracking down an expert in the particular field to be investigated. It was so much fun, and the joy of discovery was both rewarding and inspirational. Nowadays, it’s all done from a computer but for me, there’s nothing like personal experience. And being a bit long in the tooth, I have plenty of that!

Do you remember your dreams when you wake up in the morning?

Most definitely! I’m a very vivid dreamer, and I dream in colour. Sometimes my dreams can be a strange concoction that doesn’t make much sense. One of my favourite recurrent dreams is flying like Peter Pan at about twenty feet above the ground over the beautiful scenery of somewhere that strongly resembles my beloved Dartmoor where my first ten novels are set. The music playing in my head is always The Flight of the Valkyries. My other favourite is being back dancing on stage, except that I’m a hundred times more talented than I ever was, far more like my heroine in The Street of Broken Dreams. So I suppose that in some ways, though her, I’m living my youthful dream to become a professional dancer that was never fulfilled. But I really don’t mind, because I fulfilled my other childhood dream instead – the one to become a writer!




THE STREET OF BROKEN DREAMS
By
TANIA CROSSE

Published in e-book and paperback by Aria Fiction, an imprint of Head of Zeus
Available to download from Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Apple Books and GooglePlay
Paperbacks available exclusively from Amazon

Fragile, broken, dead inside. She only lives when she dances...

In the summer of 1945, the nation rejoices as the Second World War comes to an end, but Banbury Street matriarch, Eva Parker, foresees trouble lying ahead.

Whilst her daughter, Mildred, awaits the return of her fiancé from overseas duty, doubts begin to seep into her mind about how little she knows of the man she has promised to marry.

Meanwhile, new neighbour, dancer Cissie Cresswell, hides a terrible secret. The end of the conflict will bring her no release from the brutal night that destroyed her life. Can she ever find her way back?

Under Eva’s stalwart care, can the two young women unite to face the doubt and uncertainty of the future?

Tania says of this novel: Dance has been a lifelong passion of mine, so it was inevitable that one day I would write a novel in which the heroine is a dancer. And being another story set in the street where I lived as a child, I feel a greater connection to this book than anything I have written before.

 

THE STREET OF BROKEN DREAMS
Google Play: http://bit.ly/2QHCq9H



AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY

Tania Crosse was born in London and lived in Banbury Street, Battersea, the setting of her two latest novels, ‘The Candle Factory Girl’ and ‘The Street of Broken Dreams’. But when she was five, the family moved to Surrey where her love of the countryside took root. She later graduated with a degree in French Literature but did not have time to indulge her lifetime passion for writing stories until her own family had grown up.

Side by side with her meticulous historical research and love of Dartmoor, she began penning her novels set in that area from Victorian times to the 1950s, all based closely on local history. In 2014, she completed her Devonshire series with her tenth published novel, Teardrops in the Moon, before taking her writing career in a new direction with four sagas set in London and the south east. Tania is particularly excited about her latest story as the heroine is a dancer, and dance, in particular ballet, has been one of her life-time passions. Like her heroine, she once danced solo on stage at Wimbledon Theatre so knows first-hand what a thrill that would have been.

Tania and her husband have lived in a tiny village on the Hampshire/Berkshire border since 1976. They have three grown-up children and two grandchildren. Tania was shortlisted for the area Sue Ryder Women of Achievement Award 2009 and her brother is famous thriller writer, Terence Strong.




Facebook: Tania Crosse Author

No comments

Post a Comment