Welcome my lovely writer friend and fellow Aria Fiction author, Jane Lacey Crane...


 Welcome to my blog, lovely lady! It was so nice that we finally got to meet in person at Aria's Spring Party a couple of weeks ago - had such a good time :) Looking forward to asking you some questions and finding out a little more about your latest release, THE CITY OF SECOND CHANCES. Let's get started!

1.)              What was your first job? Did you like or dislike it? Why?


My first job was working in a very bad knock off version of The Body Shop on my local high street in East London. It was the first of my many adventures in retail! We sold some really foul smelling stuff. It was 1990 and I was 17 – with a head full of perming solution and jackets full of shoulder pads!

2.)              Do you have a pet peeve? If so what is it?

My list of pet peeves is long and varied! A few highlights include – people who wish their toddlers Happy Birthday on social media (Is your 3-year-old checking their FB page or Insta feed to see those birthday wishes?? I thought not.
Actually, social media nonsense features quite highly on my list of peeves. From people who post pics of their very ordinary food – No, I don’t need to see your cheese and pickle sandwich thank you – to people who post vague updates about how awful/angry/upset they’re feeling about something that’s happened to them, but they won’t share details. That level of attention seeking just puts me in a bad mood. I also can’t stand smoothies of any kind.
  
3.)              Would you describe your style as shabby chic, timeless elegance, eclectic, country or ___­­­_?

My style is one that I like to call ‘eclectic country meets shabby elegance’ – make of that what you will! I wear pyjamas whenever possible and I rely on dry shampoo far too much for a grown-up person. My home is also packed to the rafters with what I think are unique collectables, but my husband affectionately calls ‘tat’!

4.)              Tell me about your book, The City of Second Chances, and where you got your inspiration for it?

My most recent release, The City of Second Chances (published 11th December 2018), is the story of widowed Evie Grant and her quest to live the life she wants. After so many years of grieving the loss of her husband, Evie takes a trip to New York that changes everything. She meets an old boyfriend, who is now a big celebrity, and embarks on a romantic journey that has a huge impact on her life. The inspiration for the story came from a personal experience of mine – I went to college with a lovely fella who is now a famous actor with women swooning at his feet! I don’t like to namedrop – let’s just say he was recently voted ‘The Sexiest Man Alive’ and he’s about to appear in a new series of ‘Luther’ for the BBC. As teenagers we went on one date – a trip to the local cinema followed by a drink in an awful wine bar – then decided we liked each other better as mates. But when he became really famous, it always struck me as weird to think that I’d known him before all that. Would he have changed much? Is he happy having his private life splashed all over the papers and how do you conduct a relationship in the spotlight like that? And I wanted to explore the idea of what happens when an ordinary person is thrust into that world.  

5.)              Who is your role model? Why?

I’ve never thought about role models to be honest. I have lots of people in my life I admire and who have taught me lots of things – from my hardcore East End grandparents to my best girlfriends. My grandparents taught me about the importance of hard work and the value of a good sense of humour and I miss them very much. And I have a very close group of girlfriends and we’ve seen each other through the best of times and the worst of times.   

6.)              How much of your book is realistic?

The plot for City of Second Chances is probably not the most realistic – middle aged mum of two meets Hollywood heartthrob and he falls madly in love with her!! – but the realism in the book, in all my writing, comes from the emotions and motivations of my characters. They want to be happy, fulfilled and they want to find joy in their everyday lives. And they want to have some fun along the way!  

7.)              What are your ambitions for your writing career?

My ambitions for my writing career are very simple – I want to keep writing and entertaining readers for as long as I can. Oh, and I’d like a six-figure advance and the opportunity to have my books turned into blockbuster movies, or a TV series. Sounds fair, doesn’t it??

8.)              Share one fact about yourself that would surprise people.

I can’t stand ice-cream. Bleurgh! 


Has she already met The One? What if Mr Right had come along at the wrong time...?
Evie Grant is forty-five years old, a widow, and single mum of two children about to leave the nest. Suddenly alone in the family home, Evie realizes she hates her job, hardly goes out and hasn't had a date since who knows when...
So it feels like fate when the opportunity arises for a girls trip to New York City. Staying with her sister on the Upper East Side, Evie is enchanted by a snow-covered city consumed by preparing for Christmas.
Bobble hat firmly on, Evie is walking through the city one day when she bumps into Daniel Roberts, Hollywood heartthrob and one-time boyfriend of hers.
It's now or never for Evie – but can she open her heart to the possibility of a new beginnings and true happiness once again...?
Funny, real and wonderfully romantic, this is the perfect feel-good read to keep you warm this winter!


Social Media Links

Facebook – Jane Lacey Crane – Author
Instagram – @janelaceycrane
Twitter - @JaneLaceyCrane

 
 

No comments

Post a Comment