Welcome to one of my all-time favourite authors, Jean Fullerton!




I am so happy to welcome back to my blog my good friend and one of my favourite authors, Jean Fullerton. Jean and I met at a RNA conference back in 2010 and have remained good friends ever since. I can't recommend her books enough and look forward to hearing more about her latest release, A RATION BOOK CHRISTMAS...let's get started!

1)     What is the best thing you have learned from an editor/agent?

The best piece of advice I every had from my editor was to let characters speak for themselves i.e. let them tell the story with dialogue. Used that as a check when editing the first draft.

2)     What is your typical day?

If I’m not out giving an author talk and at home, I try to get all the life admin and answer emails from readers in the morning. After lunch I start writing about 2ish until 6 when I stop to have dinner. I might return to the computer for an hour or two early evening to review what I’ve written earlier. I aim to get 1000-1500 words done each day and as I write in scene not chapters I often write a paragraph or two of the next scene, just to move my brain forward in the story.   

3)     What do you read while in the midst of a project? Or don’t you?

I do read while I’m writing but mostly nonfiction research books. If I do pick up a book for pleasure it something outside my own genre, such as a Carole Matthews, Julie Cohen or Bernard Cornwell

4)      What do you do with a paperback once you’ve read it?

Usually, keep them but if not, I donate them to our church’s communal library.  

5)      Are you nervous about friends reading your book?

I used to be but now I’m more nervous about book bloggers and people who don’t know me reading my stories.

6)      What things inspire you to write?

The main thing that give me the inspiration for all my stories is the rich heritage of my is East London background. My parents’ family now all sadly long gone, and the stories I heard of their experiences in WW2.

7)     Share your blurb or short excerpt from your latest release with us.

With Christmas 1940 approaching, the Brogan family of London's East End are braving the horrors of the Blitz. With the men away fighting for King and Country and the ever-present dangers of the German Luftwaffe's nightly reign of death and destruction, the family must do all they can to keep a stiff upper lip.
For Jo, the youngest of the Brogan sisters, the perils of war also offer a new-found freedom. Jo falls in love with Tommy, a man known for his dangerous reputation as much as his charm. But as the falling bombs devastate their neighbourhood and rationing begins to bite, will the Brogans manage to pull together a traditional family Christmas? And will Jo find the love and security she seeks in a time of such grave peril?



8)      What’s next for you?
I’m writing book 4 of the Brogan family books, A Ration Book Wedding along side a new Victorian novel, set in East London, naturally.



Twitter:  @JeanFullerton_


No comments

Post a Comment