Welcome my good online friend and fellow Aria Fiction author, Jane Lacey-Crane...



Hello, lovely lady! So happy to welcome you to my blog for the very first time and learn all about your latest release, SECRETS & TEA AT ROSIE LEE'S - wishing you every success and many sales! Let's begin with my questions...

1)     What is the best and worse thing you have learned from an editor/agent?

Well, I don’t currently have an agent but my editor at Aria Fiction has given me plenty of pearls of wisdom in the last year. The best one for me was to keep communicating with her. I struggled for months on my second book without letting on, I thought admitting I was having trouble would make her regret signing me, but when it got to the point where I was so stuck I was tearing my hair out, I called her. Firstly, she gave me a good telling off for keeping it to myself for so long, and then she helped me talk through all the issues I was struggling with. That’s been the biggest thing I’ve learned, and it doesn’t just apply to the author/editor relationship. If you’re struggling, with anything, don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help.

2)     What is your typical day?

I don’t have a typical day – I wish I did, it would make things much easier to organize! Once the kids have gone to school I try and do a few things around the house before I sit down to write. This doesn’t always happen – since I’m the worst housewife in the world and would rather be doing anything but chores, I can usually talk myself out of doing whatever mundane jobs are on my To-Do list! In fact, the only time I have a clean house and a well-stocked fridge is when the writing isn’t going the way it should! I try to write for at least four hours a day if I can and I try to avoid social media until the late afternoon/early evening. That makes me sound very disciplined, doesn’t it? I’m not and can often be found scrolling through Instagram and Twitter when I should be writing!

3)     What do you read while in the midst of a project? Or don’t you?

I try to read as much as I can, even when I’m in the middle of writing something. It helps me relax and I’m still inspired by the work of other authors. As a writer, you’re always learning, and reading widely and regularly really helps me with that. There is always the danger that you’ll read something so brilliant that it makes you question your own abilities but it’s a risk I’m prepared to take. It happens every time I read a book by Nora Roberts – she’s a genius when it comes to romantic suspense – and has an enviable career but I try not to wallow in my self-pity for too long!

4)      What do you do with a paperback once you’ve read it?
I’m a terrible hoarder so I only occasionally lend books to people once I’ve read them. I lend them to my Mum and a few well-chosen close friends; all people who understand the rules of paperback ownership. No bending the corners, no cracking the spines open too far and definitely no smoking! You’re allowed to enjoy a cuppa whilst reading but there should be no dunking or dangling of biscuits of any kind around the pages of a borrowed paperback!

5)      Are you nervous about friends reading your book?
I’m nervous about anyone reading my books! Friends or otherwise. Writing a book is a hugely personal thing and sharing it with the world is the hardest part for me. I think that fear was what stopped me from finishing my first novel for so long. The idea that once it was done I might actually have to let someone read it paralysed me for many years. It’s still hard, but I’m slowly learning to be a bit braver and to have a bit more faith in my abilities.

6)      What things inspire you to write? Location, music, film or even in a book?
Inspiration can come from anywhere, I’ve learned the hard way to always have a notebook and pen to write things down. My memory is atrocious, so I don’t have a hope in hell’s chance of remembering anything that might strike me. People I meet, the stories they tell me, snippets of overheard conversations; all of these things can spark an idea. I love to visit new places too. A recent trip to Majorca inspired me to write a quick synopsis of the story that I think might become book 5 but who knows? I’m currently working on books 3&4 as well so book 5 might have to wait for a bit!! 
7)      What’s next for you?

I’m just finishing the last round of proof reads for my second novel, The City of Second Chances, ready for publication in January 2019. This book tells the story of Evie, a widowed mum of two, who gets the chance to rekindle a romance with an old flame. The fact that this old flame is now a famous movie actor with adoring fans all over the world, makes things slightly more complicated.
The idea for the book comes from a personal experience of mine – I went to college with a lovely fella who is now a famous actor with women swooning at his feet! As teenagers we went on one date – Barking Odeon Cinema and then a pizza! – and then decided we liked each other better as mates. But when he became really famous, it always struck me as weird to think that I’d known him before all that. Would he have changed much? Is he happy having his private life splashed all over the papers and how do you conduct a relationship in the spotlight like that?

I’m also very excited for people to read the book because Evie, my heroine, is very dear to me. She’s a woman who has endured a tragedy, has struggled with her mental health but has managed to not let that define her or dictate her accomplishments. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues all my life – I was diagnosed with depression when I was 17 – I wanted to show that it is possible to live with that diagnosis without letting it always be your main defining characteristic. I have good days and bad days, some of them very bad days, but with the help of family and friends, I push on. Sometimes I will succeed but sometimes I have to admit defeat and just wait for the darkness to pass, but I always have one eye on the horizon, watching for the sun that I know will come again. 

Blurb:

 Welcome to Rosie Lee's cafe in the heart of the East End - where there's not an avocado, slice of sourdough or double-shot no-foam soy milk caramel latte on the menu!

Rosie-Lee's owner Abby is a woman without a plan... and her beloved little cafe is a business with a serious lack of customers. The Rosie Lee's fry-up is legendary, but cooked breakfasts alone - however perfectly sizzled the bacon - aren't going to pay the bills.
Fast approaching forty and fighting a serious case of empty nest syndrome, Abby realises it's not just her menu that needs a makeover. And when Jack Chance, her The One That Got Away, saunters through the cafe doors and back into her life things definitely look set to change...
Abby has always believed a cup of strong builders tea makes everything better, but Jack's reappearance is a complication even the trusty sausage sarnie can't resolve...
If you enjoy Debbie Johnson, Jill Mansell and Jane Fallon, you'll love Secrets and Tea at Rosie Lee's, a frank, funny, feel-good look at grown-up life and love - as it really happens!


BIO:

Jane Lacey – Crane
Author Bio

I’ve been writing for as long as I could string a sentence together and I always dreamed of becoming a published author, but it felt like an unachievable dream until I joined the RNA’s New Writer’s Scheme in January 2017. That was the thing that really made me think I could really do it. I’d written the beginning of the story that would grow into ‘Secrets and Tea at Rosie Lee’s’ as an entry for a competition on Good Morning Britain. It never got anywhere but I really thought the story had legs and could go somewhere so I carried on with it. After rewriting it based on my manuscript report from the RNA, I started submitting to publishers who didn’t require you to have an agent. I was over the moon when Aria Fiction offered me a 3- book contract in October 2017!! This first book is set in East London, where I grew up, and features characters that were inspired by some of the people I knew back then. The next book is a completely new story, set in London and New York, and it follows the fortunes of Evie Grant, a woman in search of a new life and new adventures.



I love to hear from readers so if they want to get in touch with me they can!
Facebook – Jane Lacey Crane – Author
Instagram – @janelaceycrane
Twitter - @JaneLaceyCrane


No comments

Post a Comment