My Monthly Book Review...

Amazon US: http://a.co/aigk9a7

This month's review is for Young, Damned & Fair by Gareth Russell

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a Tudor NUT! I love to read anything and everything about Henry VII's, Henry VIII's and Elizabeth I's courts. My bookshelves literally groan under the weight of the biographies, non-fiction and fictional books of these famous British monarchs.

When I discovered Young, Damned and Fair I couldn't wait to start reading and I'm so glad I did. This is a highly readable biography of Henry VIII's ill-fated fifth wife and the life she led before and during the time she was queen of England.

Catherine Howard is often portrayed as Henry's seductress, only second to Anne Boleyn. This account digs much deeper than her youth, beauty and allure. It shows the influence of her family, the older men and women around who her who should have had her best interests at heart but were proven to be poorly lacking in any kind of maternal or paternal care. It's a well-researched and unbiased account of figure we think we know, but really don't know at all.

A really great read which I thoroughly enjoyed and I eagerly wait Gareth Russell's next book.



No comments

Post a Comment