IT'S GUEST AUTHOR SATURDAY!! Please welcome fellow Aria author Elaine Roberts...

 Hi Elaine!

It's so lovely to have you back on my blog - I can't wait to hear all about your latest release SECRET HOPES OF THE WEST END GIRLS. I hope you're well and we get to catch up in person soon...let's kick things off with my questions!

Thank you for inviting me on to your blog; it’s been a while since we’ve chatted properly thanks to the virus and lockdown.

1.)              Do you use pictures as inspiration at the start of a book?

Each of my books have been inspired by different things. The Foyles Bookshop Girls at War was inspired by a photo I came across while researching The Foyles Bookshop Girls. The photo showed the complete devastation of Silver Town when there was an explosion at the munitions factory. I also came across some BBC Podcasts from women who worked in the factory, they were known as the Canary Girls because the TNT would turn their hair yellow. I have lots of research books and photos, which do offer inspiration but it’s not just the photos that bring about a story.

2.)              What is your favourite period drama?

The period drama that has left a lasting impression with me was the television adaption of John Galsworthy’s novel, The Man of Property, The Forsyte Saga. The first episode was aired 7th April 2002. It was that series that prompted me to try writing a Victorian novel, which I thoroughly enjoyed but must admit it needs tidying up and has never been published but hopefully in the future it may see the light of day. When I was told it wasn’t the right time for Victorian novels, I moved the family forward a generation and The Foyles Bookshop Girls were born. The family from that original story are the aunts, uncles and grandparents of Alice, the main character in The Foyles Bookshop Girls.

3.)              Are the titles of your books important?

Titles are very important, although I have only picked The West End Girls. The publishing company know what works and what doesn’t. It’s the same with covers, especially if it’s a series. As you know I have two three book series out now, The Foyles Bookshop Girls and The West End Girls so there needs to be links with the titles and covers. A conversation tends to take place with my editor before a final decision is made.

4.)              If you’re struggling with a scene or difficult character, what methods help you through it?

Ha-ha, sometimes I shut my laptop and give myself a break. When I went out to work, I used to say there are morning jobs and afternoon jobs and that still applies for me, especially if I’m tired. I’ve been known to get my family together to do a bit of role play, which is always quite funny and that laughter releases something in my brain. I might read it to my son, and he’s my harshest critic, he sees things in pictures so he tells me when he can’t picture something, and I can do better. Other times I just do something to distract me from the problem and that seems to resolve it, to the point where I often wonder why I had found it so difficult.

5.)              Are you an early bird or a night owl?

I’m definitely an early bird. I think it stems from always having to leave for work by 6:45 in the morning. I gave up work in 2016 but I haven’t stopped waking up early. However, I now look after my youngest grandson in the mornings, until his dad gets home from work, so I’m trying to retrain myself to give up the afternoon quiz shows and do some writing.

6.)              Who’s your favourite author? Why?

I always find this question hard because I read many different genres but

for some years now, my favourite author has been Dorothy Koomson. She writes about a variety of subjects, and she packs a lot into her novels. I always buy her books as soon as they are available, and they are sitting on my shelves. However, since I have been writing more, I have got behind with my reading, but I will catch up.

When I decided to change from writing modern to historical, I started reading sagas. I’ve read many but I’m not going to name them, because I know too many of the authors personally. Having said that, the first one I read was Dilly Court’s novel, Christmas Card, and then decided I wanted to give writing sagas a go.

7.)              Do you have a pet peeve?

My pet peeve has nothing to do with writing, it’s bad customer service and bad manners, which are often tied together. I like to think I’m quite laid back about things, but I get so cross about it, and it’s instant. I tell my grandchildren good manners costs nothing, and I do believe that. A smile, a please or thank you makes my day. Oh, and right-handed scissors, all the lefties know what I mean.

8.)              Can you tell me a little about your next project?

My next project is top secret, even to me. I unexpectedly lost my husband in April 2019, but I was in the middle of The West End Girls series, so I had to carry on writing and editing. When I finished Secret Hopes for the West End Girls I felt burnt out and seriously thought about giving it up, but I’ve been resting and trying not to be too hard on myself. I’m getting fidgety again so there will be another book, however, I’m out of contract so I’m enjoying not being under any pressure to do anything. I’ve started formulating ideas and doing a bit of planning but there’s nothing concrete just yet.

Thank you, Rachel, for the interesting questions, I hope your readers enjoy our chat.

About Secret Hopes of the West End Girls

When the war destroys everything, can you keep hope alive? 

1915, London. World War I has been raging for over a year, but despite it all Rose Spencer is feeling hopeful about the future. She's in love and planning her wedding to lovely, bicycle-shop owner Charlie.

She loves working as a seamstress at the glamourous London's Lyceum Theatre but secretly can't help dreaming about seeing her own designs come to life. And even when she won't believe in her talent, thankfully best friends Joyce and Annie are always around to push her to have faith in her dreams.

But when a German bomb is dropped on The Strand and the city falls to chaos, her life is turned upside down – is hope for a better future lost for good? And if one dream ends, can she find the strength to fight for a different one?

Secret Hopes of the West End Girls Book Links

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3ylJZMk

Kobo: https://bit.ly/3OqK470

           Elaine’s Bio

Elaine Roberts had a dream to write for a living. She completed her first novel in her twenties and received her first very nice rejection. Life then got in the way until circumstances made her re-evaluate her life, and she picked up her dream again in 2010. She joined a creative writing class, The Write Place, in 2012 and shortly afterwards had her first short story published. She was thrilled when many more followed and started to believe in herself. Elaine has come a long way and now has two three book series in publication.

As a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, progressing to full membership from the New Writers Scheme, and The Society of Women Writers & Journalists, Elaine attends many conferences, workshops, seminars and wonderful parties. Meeting other writers gives her encouragement, finding most face similar problems.

Elaine has five children who have flown the nest. Home is in Dartford, Kent and is always busy with their children, grandchildren, grand dogs and cats visiting. Without her wonderful family and supportive friends, she knows the dream would never have been realised.

Link to Elaine’s Amazon Author Page: https://amzn.to/3A3Crz3

 

No comments

Post a Comment