My Monthly Book Review...

 



This month's review is for Katheryn Howard - The Tainted Queen by Alison Weir.

If you don't know already, I have been a huge fan of Alison Weir's work for years and I think this fictional series about Henry VIII's six wives is really something to be held up as a wonderful acheivement. I would love to tackle something on this scale one day!

I have read each of the books in order but this review is for the book about Henry's fifth wife, Katheryn Howard (as Alison spells it). Katheryn's story is as fascinating as it is disturbing, considering the way she is played and manipulated by the much older men and women who surround this very young woman - her age has not be confirmed, but she was definitely in her teens when she married the forty-nine year old Henry VIII.

This novel follows Katheryn's life from her early years, through her years living under the protection of her step grandmother, the Dowager Duchess of Norfolk...not that she was entirely protected. The story is written in an easy, page-turning style that will soon have you arriving at Henry's court and all the scandal and trouble that unfolds in Katheryn's life thereafter.

I really enjoyed this book, although it is not my favourite in the series but neither is it my least favourite! I recommend you read the entire series and decide for yourself...

No comments

Post a Comment