My Monthly Book Review - Tidelands by Philippa Gregory

 

This month's book review is for Tidelands, book 1 in Philippa Gregory's latest series.

Set in 1648, Tidelands revolves around the life of mother of two, Alinor who is struggling to provide for her children amid abject poverty whilst her rather horrible husband is absent and she has no idea when or even if he will ever return...

The story takes place during the English civil war as the arrest of Charles I draws ever nearer - when Alinor meets James, a man on the run, she has no idea how her life is about to change or the emotional reaction she is to have to this handsome and brave man. Together and apart, the story takes us through Alinor and James's journey of intrigue, danger and romance.

Filled with historical detail that I have come to rely upon in Philippa Gregory's work, Tidelands is a really good start to what promises to be another fabulous series. I really enjoyed the book - albeit not as much as her Tudor books - and it made me want to learn more about a period about which I know very little.

I would definitely recommend and look forward the second book in the series, Dark Tides...



No comments

Post a Comment