My Monthly Book Review - Heresy by SJ Parris...

 A friend of mine recommended this series to me because she knows I love history and I love crime (reading about it anyway)! If I can find a great series that combines the two, then I am very happy.

Having read the Shardlake series by S J Sansom for a number of years, I was excited to read this series albeit this one is set in the Elizabethan period rather than that of Henry VIII. 

This first novel in the series introduces real-life main character Giordano Bruno, an Italian philopsher who turns sleuth throughout this and the following books. I absolutely loved Bruno from the minute he stepped onto the page - intelligent with a keen eye for detail, he has a wonderful friendship with a member of the Elizathbean court and their dialogue is excellent.

The murder/mystery takes place within the colleges of Oxford and the author brings the buildings and period alive with wonderful intamcy as well as weaving a complex crime whose perpetrator I did not guess. A truly wonderful book which hooked me to buy the entire series - book 2 has already been purchased...

Highly recommended!


 

No comments

Post a Comment