IT'S SAGA SATURDAY!! Please welcome the lovely saga author, Liz Harris...




If I had to say what I hoped was a strong point in my books, I’d lift a title from a TV programme, alter one word and come up with ‘Story, Story, Story.’

I love reading books that have a story line so gripping that I’m forced to keep turning the pages, and thereby read to late into the night. And I try to write such stories myself. Not surprisingly, therefore, it was an idea for a story that led to me writing THE DARK HORIZON, a historical romance that is the first saga in the Linford Series. The characters and setting grew out of a story that had long been lurking in the back of my mind.

My idea was that a successful man was both furious that his son had married a woman beneath him, and also absolutely certain that the marriage would ultimately bring misery to his son. As a result, this man was going to do everything in his power to rid the family of the woman.

The principle players, therefore, became Joseph Linford, head of the family’s successful construction company, his son, Robert, who’d one day run the company, and Robert’s wife, Lily.

Because of the story line, I knew that the first saga in the series was going to be Lily’s story. I knew also that it would be set between the wars, a period I’ve always found fascinating.

When it came to the setting, I located the family in the part of London where I grew up as I know it so well, Hampstead, and in Oxfordshire, where I now live. And there was a bonus! Since part of the story takes place in New York, I was forced to go there for research!

But Lily was not the only Linford with a story. Oh, no! The second saga about the Linford family, THE FIRE WITHIN, will be published in November, 2020.

Many thanks, Rachel, for allowing me to be a guest on your fabulous SAGA SATURDAY blog.

 BLURB:

Oxfordshire, 1919

 The instant that Lily Brown and Robert Linford set eyes on each other, they fall in love. The instant that Robert’s father, Joseph, chairman of the family’s successful building company, sets eyes on Lily, he feels a deep distrust of her. 
Convinced that his new daughter-in-law is a gold-digger, and that Robert’s feelings are a youthful infatuation he’d come to regret, Joseph resolves to do whatever it takes to rid his family of Lily.
As the young couple are torn apart, the Linford family is told a lie that will have devastating consequences for years to come. 


BIO: 

Liz’s first six novels were published by Choc Lit. The Road Back was the US Coffee Time and Romance Book of the Year, A Bargain Struck was RoNA-shortlisted for Best Historical Novel, and they and The Lost GirlEvie UndercoverThe Art of Deception and A Western Heart were shortlisted by the Festival of Romantic Fiction in their respective categories. Liz’s latest historical novel, The Dark Horizon, the first of The Linford Series, which is set between the wars, was released in May 2020.

Liz is an active member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, and also of the Historical Novel Society. She regularly gives talks and workshops at conferences, and is an approved speaker for organisations such as the WI and U3A. You can visit her website at http://lizharrisauthor.com/

No comments

Post a Comment