How TV period drama inspires my work...


As a history lover, I devour a lot of non-fiction covering the Tudor, Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods - I especially love the societal issues and, as lover of all things Royal, I enjoy reading about past British kings and queens, too.

Of course, I don't spend all my time reading... I also watch a LOT of TV!

My go-to choice of viewing is period drama which should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me or reads my books. As much as reviewers are quick to point out inaccuracies in the re-telling of real events in these dramas, I enjoy them regardless.

However, why I really watch them is for the fiction - I love learning from the writers and seeing how they intertwine real-life events with not so real. I focus on characterisation and think what I would do differently with the characters and the situations in which they find themselves.

Watching shows this way has provided me with an endless source of issues and characters that inspire me, but I far from copy. Over the last few years, my main issue has been female empowerment or progression. I am obsessed! My story ideas fill a file on my computer and I am as excited about the future books I want to write as much as the one I'm currently working on.

The Pennington's series was, of course, inspired by Mr Selfridge and The Paradise BUT I like to think the books themselves are entirely different than these shows.

Why not give them a try?? I'd love to know what you think!

All books are listed here via my website: Pennington's department store series

Rachel x

Sign up for my monthly newsletter here: Newsletter

Do you want to write a romance or women's fiction novel? My First Chapter Critique service is OPEN - find all the details here: First Chapter Critique Service

No comments

Post a Comment