Escapism and the Historical Novel...



For millions of book lovers all over the world, novels provide a vehicle of escape from the chaos or mundane of day to day life. They are a comfort, companion and trusted friend who can sometimes be hard to find. They are a constant source of knowledge, entertainment and reaffirmation that all can be well in the world.

, maybe the last firmly belongs to the romance genre…or even some crime fiction if the perpetrator is caught and justly punished.

However, for me, there is something extra to be discovered between the pages of a historical novel over the contemporary – even if I do love both!

When I sit down to read a historical novel, I have almost always read the blurb and know the period I am about to enter into and explore. Many history lovers have their preferred eras but, as mine is vast, I am happy to indulge in the medieval, the Tudor, Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods.

There is a real escapism in discovering the cultures, both religious and societal, the foods that were eaten, the entertainment, the level of crime and the buildings of these times. As an author of historical fiction myself, I put all I can into conveying the atmosphere of the period I am writing about, along with the habits and rituals of the people who lived at that time as much. These things are equally as important to me and the story itself.

As I write stories that contain a strong romantic element, the emotion of the characters plays the major role but that does not mean I skip on the background. Research is paramount when I start a novel and often continues throughout the writing and editing. As I am committed to delivering the 
best escapism possible in my own work, I always appreciate the historical novels of others, too.

Money can be tight for all of us from time to time, but as books can often be bought for as little as 99p/$1 these days, I feel that almost everyone can afford at least one monthly treat of purchasing a book. What else in the world can provide such peace and quiet yet transport you to a wholly different world, waiting to be discovered?

I believe historical novels and all the joy and relief they can give a reader in these busy, digital times are here to stay.

And I, for one, am eternally grateful!

Happy Reading!




For more information about my books – head over to my website!
Newsletter: Rachel's A List

No comments

Post a Comment