Welcome romance author, Emily Royal...




Hi Emily! Welcome to my blog - I'm looking forward to learning more about you and your work. Wishing you every success with your latest release, THE SINS OF THE SIRE! Let's get started...

Hi Rachel, thanks so much for having me on your blog and for such great questions, too!

1.)                What is the strangest talent you have?

I’m not sure if it’s particularly “strange” but I used to be in the British shooting team so I can hit something the size of a 5p piece from 50 metres away

2.)                What is the best Halloween costume you’ve ever worn?

A giant foam pumpkin which I wore once when I was a teenager. It was constructed in sections from my mum’s old yoga mat: orange with bright green leaves around the collar, matching hat, tights and face paint. I wore it for a village party organised by the local community which was a “safari dinner” where you go to different houses for each course. It was before trick-or-treating became popular in the UK so the sight of hundreds of adults and children dressed up in various guises wandering the streets must have been pretty bizarre. Luckily it was pre-iPhones so I don’t have any photos.

The following year I went as a witchdoctor, complete with animal bones dangling round my neck. I was aiming for a Baron Samedi look from Live and let Die. On reflection the bones were a mistake. They freaked too many people out.

The last time I went trick-or-treating with my children a couple of years ago I didn’t bother with a costume. I simply draped Twinkle, one of my pet snakes, round my neck. He’s a nosey soul so kept stretching out to investigate everyone at every house we visited. Last year I waited indoors, with a big tub of chocolate and my biggest snake, Amira, an 8 foot boa constrictor, for the trick-or-treaters to come. Sadly nobody turned up. I think they’d been warned.

3.)                Are the titles of your books important?
Oh yes. If I’m lucky the title comes to me while I’m plotting the story out, or even before. If not I usually struggle with it. For my debut novel The Sins of the Sire I had the title sorted almost as soon as I started planning and the publisher was Ok with it. But for another novel, which should be published later in the year, I agonised over the title for months. A title has to convey the theme and style of the novel in around five words or less. And sound catchy. How tough is that?!?

4.)                If you’re struggling with a scene or difficult character, what methods help you through it?
I’m a belligerent battering ram so I’ll just plough through it. I overwrite and when I struggle I overwrite even more so I know there will be a lot of wastage. But hopefully once the dross is edited out there might be a few decent words left.
I’m a massive daydreamer, especially when I’m plotting. When struggling with a draft I’ll try and daydream a bit beforehand, trying to think of words in my head, before writing it down. Sometimes sleeping on it helps and the words might come to me in the shower in the morning; which can be problematic if I’m searching for a pen to make a note of it with soap in my eyes.

5.)                Do you prefer dog, cats or none of the above?
Dogs over cats but given the choice I’m a snake person! I’d love to see just as many snake memes on social media as cat memes.

6.)                Who’s your favourite author? Why?
Oh heavens, I always find this question tough. I have books I love which vary depending on my mood and I have authors I like, but there’s no single author where I’ll automatically buy their book without thinking. Of course, my writer friends are an exception to that!
I’ll always reach for a Jane Austen novel and could read her books whatever mood I’m in.
I love the classic “Old Skool” romances, setting political correctness aside! One author whose work I loved is Teresa Denys. She only wrote two books before she died, sadly, but her writing style is so vivid and descriptive. She really pulls you into the setting such that you almost believe you’re there with the characters. Such a shame she never had the chance to write more.

7.)                Do you have a pet peeve?
People who chew with their mouths open. I fly a lot (just domestic, nothing glamorous) and you get a lot of it in airport lounges, as if all these businessmen who are made to show table manners at home let their inner caveman out when commuting. That might sound sexist but an airport lounge still seems to be a man’s world, particularly around the popular commuting times. If I see another woman we often exchange sympathetic glances, joined in sisterhood by the prospect of having to sit next to an armrest-hogging manspreader on the plane.
In fact (and I kid you not) as I type this, I’m at the airport and a man across the desk from me is not only chewing loudly but sniffing so forcefully it sounds like his head is rattling. Is it any wonder I write torture scenes?

I recently discovered there’s a medical name for the phobia of all these horrible noises. Misophonia. I’m a definite misophonic.

8.)                Do you remember your dreams when you wake up in the morning?
Sometimes, yes. A few dreams have stuck with me and I’ve been able to use snippets as ideas in novels. But I often wonder what potential gems I’ve forgotten by the time I crawl out of bed. Occasionally I’ve woken up in a state then realised the horrible situation I was in is just a dream. It works the other way, too. Before I got my first publishing contract I remember waking up thinking I had a massive multi-book offer from a major publishing house and it took me a few minutes to register it had – literally – been a dream.

Bio
Emily Royal is a mathematics geek who grew up in Sussex, UK and has always had a passion for romance and strong alpha heroes. After graduating from Oxford University and enjoying a brief dream of becoming an airline pilot, she started a career in financial services in order to indulge her love of mathematics.

She now lives in rural Scotland with her husband, two daughters, and a menagerie of pets including Twinkle, an attention-seeking boa constrictor. She reignited her passion for romance when she joined the Romantic Novelists’ Association under their New Writers’ Scheme.

When not working on algebra or keeping Twinkle from slithering over the keyboard, Emily enjoys painting and playing the piano. She can often be found wandering about the hills of Scotland looking for inspiration.


Author Links
Twitter: @eroyalauthor

Book links

Book blurb
Two years ago, English noblewoman, Elyssia De Montford, risked her life to free the Highlander held prisoner by her sadistic fiancĂ©. She cannot forget the man who first stirred her heart–a memory that burns anew when she finds herself once more on the road to Scotland.

Tavish MacLean has sworn vengeance. It’s been six years since his beloved sister was raped and murdered by an English lord, a tragedy which almost destroyed his family. On his deathbed, his father demanded retribution and Tavish pledged before his clan to enslave the lord’s daughter then send her back to her father, pregnant with a Scottish bastard. When he learns that she is travelling north, he seizes his opportunity and orders her abduction.

But when his men fling the prisoner before him, Tavish recognises Elyssia, the woman who once saved his life. Loyalty to his clan trumps the debt he owes her and he claims Elyssia as his captive. Though she’s one of the hated English, her willing body ignites passion in him at night, though she fights him at every turn during the day. As time passes he questions his loyalty, finding himself increasingly enthralled by his fiery captive.

Treachery surrounds Clan MacLean. When long-buried secrets come to light, Tavish must risk his life and his clan, or all that he holds dear will be destroyed.


No comments

Post a Comment