Inspiration Behind The Pennington's Department Store series...


It's no surprise that the inspiration for The Mistress of Pennington’s came from my obsession with the TV series The Paradise and Mr Selfridge. I adored these shows, but something was missing for me. I soon realised I wanted more focus on the female issues of the time.

Women in business, the suffrage movement, laws against women’s freedom with regards to property and money…the taboo of divorce. As soon as I had pinpointed the theme of what I wanted to write, ‘Female Empowerment’, I knew a single book wasn’t going to cut it and I’d found my next historical series. I was so excited to get started!

And so, came the research…always a pleasure to a history addict like me.

I started my research by re-watching the TV series I loved, Titanic and A Room With A View – all fantastic fodder for a feel of the Edwardian period and the frustrations of women living at the time.

Then came the books - Good lord, did I read a LOT of non-fiction books covering the era – in fact, I was so inspired by several real-life stories of the period that I made another file of facts and dates around another theme set in the Edwardian period, but I won’t be sharing that scoop today in case my idea never comes to fruition!

By the time I came to plotting and finally writing the first draft of The Mistress of Pennington’s, I knew the heroine, Elizabeth Pennington, would be a strong, forward-thinking woman determined to be recognised by her father as the rightful heiress of Pennington’s Department Store. Not only is Elizabeth determined to inherit the mammoth store, but also run it as she fits, ensuring all classes, genders and backgrounds are welcome in the store as customers or employees.

This book was an absolute joy to write and the reviews so far have been fantastic. The next book, A Rebel At Pennington will be released in February and I'm just coming to the end of the first draft of book 3.

Welcome to Pennington’s! I hope you’ll stay and watch some amazing women grow and start to make some changes to their worlds…


Happy Reading!

Rachel x

No comments

Post a Comment