Welcome Harlequin & Tule romance author, Lucy King...



 It's so great to welcome my good friend and fellow Harlequin author, Lucy King to my blog today! So fab to have you here, Lucy :D Let's kick off with my questions, I'm looking forward to hearing about your latest releases with Tule...


1.)                What did you want to be when you grew up?

What didn’t I want to be when I grew up... From what I can recall I changed my mind every week! Apparently my primary school head teacher told my parents that I could do anything as long as I wasn’t painting my nails. How rude. But sadly true. I’m easily distracted and an excellent procrastinator and it’s a wonder I get anything done at all!


2.)                Coffee, tea or hot chocolate?

Coffee, definitely. The proper stuff. With milk. And at least three before 9am.


3.)                What genre do you typically read? Why?

Not unsurprisingly I read a lot of romance and I love Regencies. When I need something different I like psychological thrillers and domestic noir. I recently joined a book club, which is great for trying new genres and authors.


4.)                Share a favourite childhood memory.

This is a tricky one since there are many.... But back in the late seventies/early eighties every summer we used to go on holiday to Brittany. In the mornings my mum would give us a franc and send the three of us children to buy a baguette, which we would polish off before arriving home and in the afternoons my dad would build helter skelters on the beach. Happy days.


5.)                Do you have any shameless addictions? ie. Tea, Books, Shoes, Clothes?

Crisps. I can’t have them in the house otherwise I would live on nothing else.


6.)                What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

For me it’s being faced with a blank page and the thought of the mammoth task ahead. I have a terrible fear of starting in the wrong place (which is what usually happens) and then heading off in completely the wrong direction. I also find it incredibly hard to switch off my internal editor and tend to try to second guess what my editor might want. It’s all very annoying.


7.)                Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

Yes. I aim for 2000 words a day and am pleased if I reach 1500. I often fail. My process means that at the start of a book I write a lot and delete a lot. I need to get the first couple of chapters nailed before I can move on. As I get further into the book, though, I know the characters and the story better and am much more efficient. Then, as the end/deadline looms, I just write until it’s done so my daily wordcount rockets.


8.)                What are your thoughts on writing a book series?

I’ve written two so far, one with other authors and one by just me. The Fairy Tales of New York series was fab to do since I got to work with some of my favourite authors. I find writing can be pretty solitary and it was lovely to be able to (virtually) chat to and spark ideas off my co-collaborators. The conversations we had....! My current series, The Maclean Family Legacy, is a duet which was equally fun to write. This one, though, has story lines that overlap so the timelines were a bit of a nightmare. One thing I love about writing series is being able to revisit characters and seeing what they’re up to.
 Blurb

His Best Mistake

Is it too much to ask for a relationship that works?
When Stella Grant realises her perfect romance is a lie and that she’s the other woman, she flees to her remote cottage in the Highlands to lick her wounds.
Billionaire currency trader Jack Maclean has nothing but contempt for the woman who stole not only his sister’s fiancé but quite possibly a family heirloom to boot. Nonetheless, he wants answers and he intends to get them. A quick trip north should do the trick. Never in a million years could he have predicted a kamikaze sheep and inclement weather would leave him stranded.
Jack might be gorgeous but Stella isn’t in the market for a man, especially one who hates her. No matter how attractive he finds her Stella is the very last person Jack should want. The trouble is, they’re all alone and the chemistry is irresistible, and, well, what happens in Scotland stays in Scotland, right?


Bio

Lucy King has been writing contemporary romance since 2009 and honestly can’t think of a better job to have. Creating swoon-worthy heroes, sassy heroines and heart-melting happy ever afters definitely beats the many and varied jobs she had before.
Originally from London, Lucy now lives in Wiltshire with her family where she spends much of the time reading, failing to finish cryptic crosswords and trying to think up new and interesting things to do with mince.


Links






1 comment