Welcome fellow Harlequin Superromance author, Sharon Hartley...



Hi Sharon! So great to feature a fellow Super author on my blog - wishing you must success and sales with your latest release, Accidental Bodyguard! Let's kick off with my questions...

1. What is your favourite thing about yourself?

I guess I’d have to say my discipline.  When I set a goal, I create a plan to get there and stick to it, often to the despair of my husband.  I like my hair too (because it reminds me of my mother) but that doesn’t sound too noble, does it?


2. What do you wish you’d known before you started writing?

That it’s not written until it’s rewritten, that revision means actually taking another look at a story.  And in today’s publishing world, after you’ve finished the book it’s time to start promoting. I’m really bad at promoting my own work – it makes me uncomfortable – but self-promotion is so important today. Absolutely necessary!

3. Share a romantic moment in your life.

The first one that came to mind probably won’t sound at all romantic to anyone else. (You probably had to be there.)  But I’m a lifelong birder and had never seen an Eastern bluebird because they’re not common in Miami, plus they were diminishing in numbers. My husband and I moved to Atlanta for a brief time and lived on a forest that I was convinced was perfect bluebird habitat.  As a surprise, he made me a bluebird box and hung it to attract bluebirds where I could see them.  He even went to a neighbor’s garage to complete the work so I wouldn’t know.  I was of course thrilled by this gift, and indeed saw my first bluebird because of it.  I hope there are still bluebirds happily using that little box to raise their babies.

4. Is there one subject you’d never write about as an author? What is it?

I honestly can’t think of a subject I wouldn’t write about.  I’ve even written a book about child slavery to call attention to that disgusting reality in our world today.  However, that story remains unpublished.

5. Do you have any suggestions to help someone become a better writer? If so, what are they?

My mantra is “Writers write.”  You have to write every day to practice your craft in order to succeed.  The second thing is you have to develop a thick skin.  If you let criticism hurt your feelings, you’ll stop writing. 

6. If you could be the original author for any book, what would it be? Why?

To Kill a Mockingbird. The story had an enormous effect on me when I was a little girl, and I believe it set a lot of my values.  I didn’t realize this until decades later, however. When I went back to college to get my MFA in Creative Writing and reread the book, the story brought back memories and resonated with me in a very strange way.

7. What did you do growing up that got you into trouble?

My room was always a mess. I’m still a messy person.  (Just ask my husband.) The joke in my family is that my sister and I have “Sue Disease.”  My grandmother’s name was Sue, and she was a terrible housekeeper.  Probably in reaction to Grandma Sue’s cleaning skills, my mother became a neat freak.  My sister and I drove her nuts with our terrible habits.  So we made up “Sue Disease” and told our mother it skipped a generation.  Our plan failed. We still had to clean our room. 


8. If I came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for me? Why?

Probably angel hair pasta with my fresh tomato sauce, whole grain garlic bread, and a nice salad.  If you like wine, I’d pour a nice cabernet. The sauce is originally from Martha Stewart, although I’ve altered it by leaving out olive oil – it’s still delicious –no one will miss the oil!  I’m a vegetarian (a failed vegan – I can’t give up cheese) and find that pasta is something that works for most people even if the sauce is without meat. 
 BLURB:               

Claudia Goodwin loved and trusted once.  Now she’s running from the man she thought would never hurt her.  Hiding in the breathtaking beauty of a private Florida Island until she can testify against her ex-husband, a ruthless terrorist, she has to stay focused on survival.

Sexy security expert Jackson Richards is the perfect man to have on her side, but trusting anyone – even him – isn’t an option.  The one thing she can’t keep hidden is the crackling attraction between them.  And desire for the man keeping her safe might not be enough to protect her heart…or her life.


BIO:                                

Sharon Hartley recently survived (barely) a move from Miami to St. Petersburg, Florida.  She still doesn’t know where most of her clothes are, but hopes they’ll turn up soon.  Her orchids survived the trip and, fortunately, so did her computer, where she can be found every morning creating stories where people make mistakes, endure perilous journeys, learn about life, and always find a happy ending. She misses her friends in South Florida, but the birding is fabulous on Tampa Bay and she can practice yoga anywhere.  Sharon loves to hear from her readers.  Please visit her website at sharonshartley.com



http://tinyurl.com/h7gnchf     (link to buy on Amazon)

http://tinyurl.com/h5w8s89   (link to buy on Harlequin)


No comments

Post a Comment