Welcome fellow Wild Rose Press author, Barbara Edwards!

Today I am interviewing new Wild Rose Press author, Barbara Edwards. This is the first time I have 'met' Barbara and looking forward to learning more about her and her work. Welcome, Barbara, shall we get started??

Hello. I’m Barbara Edwards. My stories are dark and edgy. My heroes have something broken, either their spirit or an important aspect of their lives. Meeting the heroine sets them on the path to healing. All of my heroines are independent, stubborn women. Life has handed them problems that they face with resolution, intelligent, and love.

1) When and why did you decide you wanted to be a published author?

I’d been a member of Romance Writers of America for several years. A guest speaker did a talk about career goals and I wish I could remember her name to give her credit. She mentioned keeping a writing schedule, pages accomplished each week and being consistent. Then, TaDa!, she said—you need to stop treating writing as a hobby. If you want to be published, treat your writing like a job.

I took that advice to heart. I write when it’s not fun, when I’d rather be gardening or at a movie, and when I can’t think of what to put in the next scene. Because its what I want more than anything.

2) What is the best and worse thing you have learned from an editor/agent? They both fit together like those famous coin sides. Leslie Wainger rejected my manuscript. When I met her at a later conference, I wasn’t brave enough to ask why. She did mention that the most important thing to remember is: Not everyone will like your work, not because it’s good or bad, but because of personal preference.

3) Favorite author/s? My list is so long. JD Robb, Jayne Anne Krentz, Linda Howard are up near the top but I could fill the blog with a hundred more. I love complicated stories with flawed characters.

4) What is your typical day?

Up early since I like to watch the sunrise and get any gardening done before it gets hot. I drink a cup of tea on my porch, and then settle down to write. I really try to avoid checking my email first since it eats so much time. On a good day I write 10-15 pages. On a bad day I scream, stamp my feet and keep at it. I play CDs with a music that fits the mood I’m trying to create.

5) Share your blurb or short excerpt from your latest release with us

Ancient Blood: Finding Rhodes End Series, Book Two
A Black Rose Available From The Wild Rose Press
By Author Barbara Edwards

Blurb: After narrowly escaping a stalker’s vicious attack, Lily Alban is left with the ability to see human auras. After moving to the tiny hamlet of Rhodes End, she finally feels safe, and against her better judgment, falls in love. But she soon discovers the man she loves is not a man at all. As a botanist, werewolf Cole Benedict has dedicated his life to researching healing herbs to find a cure for Lycanthropy. He resists his attraction to Lily to protect her from the beast inside him. But when Lily’s stalker threatens her again, he’s determined to do whatever it takes to keep her safe. Even if that means embracing the instincts of his wolf. Together they must use extraordinary gifts to catch Lily's stalker before he attacks again. But will revealing their inner-most secrets to one another destroy their growing love or save them both?

Available from www.thewildrosepress.com

Print ISBN: 1-60154-916-4

Print ISBN 13: 9781601549167

6) Who would you cast to play your hero & heroine in a movie?

Ask me a question I can answer. I don’t go to the movies so I don’t have any idea who is the current shining star. If I do watch a movie it’s from the thirties or forties. Maybe Alan Ladd and Lauren Bacall? I’d love to have a younger Mel Gibson (Remember Road Warrior?) or Tom Selleck.

7) Did you plan this book? Or write it as it came?

I always know the beginning and the end when I start my stories. It’s the way my mind works. I dream the story, or in the case of Ancient Awakening, have a nightmare. The middle is the hard part. That takes work, research and plotting.

8) What surprised you the most when you became a published writer?

A number of things: the publicity part, learning the business end, the time necessary away from my writing. Most shocking? The second book was as hard to write as the first and it’s never become easier.

9) Do you have a dedicated writing space? What does it look like?

At home I have a real office with a desk, files, a comfortable chair and bookshelves stacked with reference material. When we travel in the RV, I have a two-shelf bookcase and a folding tv table for my laptop. I also have an Alphasmart for when my husband is driving long distances.

10) What’s next for you?

I’m working on another paranormal tentatively titled Ancient Artifacts. It’s Book Three in the Rhodes End series.

When it gets too dark and scary, I move to a contemporary romance about re-enacting the Civil War.

Check out excerpts from my books at http://www.barbaraedwards.net

Come and friend me at http://www.facebook.com/BarbaraEdwards.Author/

Ancient Awakening-Bookpage on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/AncientAwakeningbyBarbaraEdwards/

Or I hope have enough time to keep up with my blogs: http://barbedblog.barbaraedwards.net/ and http://barbaraedwardscomments.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Rachel for having me as a guest. I’ve enjoyed it.

Really nice interview, Barbara. Can I ask where you live? When you say you garden before it gets too hot and then sit on the porch, it evokes such Southern images in my mind. Maybe that's because I'm from the UK, lol!

Barbara would love to hear from you!

No comments

Post a Comment