Welcome romance writer, Merry Farmer...



Hi Merry! Welcome to my site - this is the first time we've met so I'm looking forward to hearing more about you and your work. Wishing you a fabulous Christmas and New Year!!

1.    What do you wish men understood about women?  I wish men understood that women actually aren’t as complicated as the media likes to make us out to be.  Most of us are happy with simple things—a good book, a friend to talk to (which can be them), good food. 

2.    Do you only work on one book at a time?  Sort of.  I’m usually only writing the first draft of one book at a time.  But since it’s important to let a draft rest for a few weeks or months before diving into revisions, I usually start working on the next one while waiting for the first one to percolate.  So in that way my books overlap each other.

3.    Who is your favorite fictional couple?  Of my own making?  Michael and Charlotte West from Our Little Secrets, the first book in my Montana Romance series.  Those two just crack me up with their banter.  As far as couples other people have created…well, I’ve been rewatching Frasier lately and remembering just how much I LOVE Niles and Daphne!  What a fantastic couple (not to mention great acting)!

4.    Do you have a favorite quote that sums up how you feel about life?  I’ve always loved this quote from the movie Sliding Doors:  “I’m a woman, Jerry!  We don’t say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don’t get it!  That’s what makes us so fascinating…and not a little bit scary.”  …  I realize this kind of contradicts my answer to the question what do I wish men knew about women.  LOL!

5.    Do you set daily writing goals? Word count? Number of chapters? Do you get a chance to write every day?  I make a point to write every day.  You have to.  The only way to keep yourself moving forward when you really don’t feel like writing or when you get stuck is to have a set time and place to write every day and to be disciplined about doing it.  I get up at 5:30am every morning (well, 7:00 on the weekends) and write for about an hour before the day job.  When I’m writing a first draft I set myself a 2,000 word a day goal, but when I get into revisions I work more on a time-basis, at least an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.  I find that unless I’m in one of those phases where the book is writing itself, if I try to force it for more than an hour at a time I get even more stuck.  Then I’ll take a 15-30 minute break and go back at it for another hour.

6.    What do you like better, Twitter or Facebook? Why?  I find myself much more drawn to Facebook than to Twitter.  I’ve gotten into a good rhythm with my Facebook page and have a lot of fun with it.  I like Twitter too, but I have a harder time keeping up with it for one simple reason: my day job.  I have to “do social media” from my iPhone while I’m at the day job and the Facebook app is much more nimble than the Twitter app.  It’s all about technology.

7.    What are you working on now?  I’m just finishing up the second novella and fifth overall story in my Montana Romance series, The Indomitable Eve.  It’s been a bit of a surprise to work on too.  I intended it to be a fun Christmas story, but the characters, Eve deLaurent and her sister, Amelia Quinlan (who was the heroine of the second novel in the series, Fool for Love) had a lot more painful issues to work out between each other as a result of their tragic childhood than I thought.  It’s going to be a lot darker than anything else I’ve written.  After this I’ll be working on the third and final novella in the series, Seeks For Her, and the final full-length novel, Somebody to Love, which should be released in late April 2014.

8.    Tell us about your latest release and where we can find it:

         Latest release: In Your Arms (Montana Romance #3)

         Blurb:
Lily Singer has never belonged. Taken from her tribe as a child and raised in a white man’s school, she no longer has a place in either world. Teaching has become her life. When that life is threatened by rumors and prejudice after a string of robberies, she must turn for help to the one man who spells disaster for her carefully ordered existence. Will he save her or steal her heart?
Christian Avery, Justice of the Peace, is used to having things his way. Cold Springs is his responsibility, and when its citizens blame the local Indian population for the mysterious robberies, it’s up to him to restore order and maintain calm. The one person who refuses to follow his lead is the beautiful, native-born Lily. Her defiance turns his life upside down.
But when town gossip shifts from robberies to romance after a foolish indiscretion, Lily’s job and reputation are on the line. She must choose between the only life she has ever known and the only place she has ever felt at home, in Christian’s arms.
         Buy links:

-------------------------------------------------

Author Bio:

Merry Farmer is an award-winning author of Historical Romance and what she likes to call “Sci-Fi for Women”.  She lives in suburban Philadelphia with her two cats and enough story ideas to keep her writing until she’s 132.  Her second novel, The Faithful Heart, was a 2102 RONE Award finalist and her unpublished futuristic novel A Man’s World won first place in the Novel: Character category at the 2013 Philadelphia Writer’s Conference.  She is out to prove that you can make a living as a self-published author and to help others to do the same.

Social Networking links:


Twitter: @merryfarmer20



Merry is waiting to chat! Comments? Questions?

1 comment

  1. Thanks so much for having me over, Rachel! =D

    ReplyDelete