Welcome the fabulous Jennifer Ash!! (AKA Jenny Kane & Kay Jaybee)



 I'm so happy to welcome my good friend, Jennifer Ash to my blog today - Jennifer is a fellow member of the Bath/Wilts RNA chapter and one of the hardest working women I know! As well as writing under three names, she runs writing workshops and mentors, too. Let's kick off with my questions, lovely lady...

1.)                What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was in my teens I decided I was absolutely going to be either an archaeologist on Time Team or the UK’s leading expert on Robin Hood.
Not the most normal child you may think- and I can’t argue.
I never did get to work on Time Team, although I was an archaeologist and I have worked with all of the original TT crew- just not at the same time or on the television.
As to Robin Hood – that didn’t work out too badly either. While I am far from an expert on the subject, I would be handy in a RH related pub quiz question scenario as I did a PhD on the subject. Well- why not? It’s come in very handy lately, as it means most of the research I need to do for my medieval crime series, ‘The Folville Chronicles’ is already done.


2.)                Coffee, tea or hot chocolate?

Coffee. Black. No sugar.

3.)                What genre do you typically read? Why?

I read a wide range of genres, but at the moment I’m leaning towards Victorian crime as my genre of choice. It’s a period of history which fascinates me. If I hadn’t been so intrigued by medieval England as a child, I would probably have studied Victorian history at university.

4.)                Share a favourite childhood memory.

This is going to sound weird- but going to the rubbish dump with my Grandad.
When I was little we’d make it into an adventure- packing the car, heading off into the woods where the dump was hidden away and then climbing up ladders to throw everything away – I loved it.
We’d chat and sing all the way there and back. Happy times with one the best men who ever lived.

5.)                Do you have any shameless addictions? ie. Tea, Books, Shoes, Clothes?

I really don’t. I’m terribly dull.

6.)                What do you think is the biggest challenge of writing a new book?

Not starting to write another one at the same time.
I always have more than one (or 5) ideas bubbling at once. It’s really tricky to concentrate on plotting just the one book at a time.

7.)                Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages a day?

All being well, I aim for a chapter a day. I write short chapters (1800-2000 words approx), so it’s doable. I’d love to do more each day, but I have a part time job and teach writing workshops as well.

8.)                What are your thoughts on writing a book series?

I love writing series. I have several under my belt now, from The Perfect Submissive series (erotica as Kay Jaybee), to the Another Cup of Coffee range (romcoms as Jenny Kane) to The Folville Chronicles (medieval romantic mystery/crime as Jennifer Ahs).
Not one of these series however, was planned. Each one started with a novel that was going t be a standalone- only once the first books had proved popular did I keep going. I think if I set out to write a series from the off it would be too daunting.

Huge thanks for inviting me over to chat today Rachel.
Jennifer xxx

Bio
Jennifer Ash writes stories of medieval crime, steeped in mystery, with a side order of romance.
Influenced by a lifelong love of Robin Hood and medieval ballad literature, Jennifer has written The Outlaw’s Ransom (Book One in The Folville Chronicles) – a short novel, which first saw the light of day within the novel Romancing Robin Hood (written under the name Jenny Kane; Pub. Littwitz Press, 2018).
Book Two of The Folville Chronicles - The Winter Outlaw - was released in April 2018. Three more novels are planned for this series. Book Three - Edward’s Outlaw- will be published in December 2018.
Jennifer has also written three audio scripts for ITV’s popular 1980’s television show, Robin of Sherwood. The Waterford Boy and Mathilda’s Legacy were released by Spiteful Puppet in 2017. Her third script, The Baron’s Daughter, is to be released in late 2018.

As Jenny Kane she has written Abi’s Neighbour (Accent Press, 2017), Another Glass of Champagne (Accent Press, 2016), and the bestsellers, Abi’s House (Accent Press, June 2015), and Another Cup of Coffee (Accent Press, 2013).
She has also written 3 novella length sequels to her Another Cup of.....books:  Another Cup of Christmas (Accent Press, 2013), Christmas in the Cotswolds (Accent, 2014), and Christmas at the Castle (Accent, 2016). These three seasonal specials are now available in one boxed set entitled Jenny Kane’s Christmas Collection (Accent, 2016)
Jenny is also the author of quirky children’s picture books There’s a Cow in the Flat (Hushpuppy, 2014) and Ben’s Biscuit Tin (Hushpuppy, 2015)
Jenny Kane is the writer in residence for Tiverton Costa in Devon. She also co-runs the creative writing business, Imagine.
All of Jennifer and Jenny Kane’s news can be found at www.jennykane.co.uk
@JenAshHistory
@JennyKaneAuthor


1 comment

  1. I'm often to blogging and i really recognize your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I'm going to bookmark your site and preserve checking for brand spanking new information. online gambling

    ReplyDelete