My Monthly Book Review...The Taming Of The Queen by Philippa Gregory


Anyone who knows me will know I'm a HUGE Philippa Gregory fan, having started reading her books at least eight years ago.

Philippa writes contemporary novels as well as her fabulous historical offerings, but her Tudor series is my absolute favourite...not including the wonderful A Respectable Trade which I recommend to every historical reader I meet.

The Taming Of The Queen is, I believe, the seventh book in the series but as each book tackles a different character from the Tudor dynasty, the books can be read as stand-alone novels. The latest book is all about Kateryn Parr, the sixth and final wife of Henry VIII.
As a respected historian, Philippa brings minute detail and research to her novels but the language is so accessible the reader doesn't realise how much they're learning as they become embroiled in the goings-on at court. Rich with characters we have all heard of, as well as additional fictional characters Philippa creates to enrich her storytelling.

Although The Taming of The Queen wasn't my favourite in the series, (Highly recommend The Other Boleyn Girl and The Other Queen), it was still a very worthy read. I have the next in the series, Three Sisters, Three Queens on my shelf waiting to be read, but as a dedicated fan of Philippa's I won't allow myself to read this one until her next is released. I love the anticipation!

No comments

Post a Comment