My Monthly Book Review...



The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah

Oh, lordy! Where do I start?? In a nutshell, I absolutely LOVED this book - I read so much and, as a writer, the reading for pleasure only often disintegrates to either, "I wouldn't have written this scene like that" or "what is that character talking about/doing? Makes zero sense!" OR I humbly shut a book, believing I will never, ever be that good.

The Monogram Murders was SO good, that I actually forgot I write altogether and became completely immersed in the writing and this brand new Poirot mystery. Bravo, Sophie Hannah, for bringing back my reading for pleasure. I am so happy another Poirot book will be released later this year!

I think I read my first Agatha Christie (Miss Marple) around the age of 12 or 13 and went on to devour many more. Poirot is such a complex character, so full of depth and nuances, that I cannot imagine the task of having to bring him back to life with the verve in which Christie wrote him.

Sophie Hannah has managed this with seemingly effortless skill...although I am sure the task was far from effortless. For any Christie fan, I urge you to buy and read this book. You will not be disappointed. It receives a big, fat 5 stars from me!

Happy Reading!

Rachel x

No comments

Post a Comment