Welcome fellow RNA member, Natalie Kleinman...



            Hi Natalie! So pleased to welcome you to my blog to talk about you and your latest release,                      HONEY BUN - Let's kick off with my questions...

1.) What was your first job? Did you like or dislike it? Why?
I worked at Marks & Spencer in their head office in Baker Street. I did occasional stints in the post room while learning to be a distributor – the merchandise didn’t get to all those stores in a random way. I absolutely loved my time there and only left because it was felt I would benefit from taking a secretarial course. It was planned that I should return but I never did of course. Just as an aside, my boss told me my handwriting was like little fly dirts. It hasn’t improved!

2.) Do you have a pet peeve? If so what is it?
I used to have a pet but now I don’t so does that count as a peeve? Otherwise, yes, I had grammar and punctuation drummed into me at school so my peeve is in fact twofold. The first is that errors jump off the page at me and can spoil the enjoyment of what I’m reading. The second is a knowledge that, because language is constantly changing, what used to be wrong is now acceptable and while some of the things I write scream at me ‘No, you can’t say that!’ it’s something that has to be overcome or writing becomes stilted. Thank you, Miss Gawthrop! Yes, that was indeed my English teacher’s name.

3.) Would you describe your style as shabby chic, timeless elegance, eclectic, country or ___­­­_?
Well, naturally I’d like to think timeless elegance applies here but the truth is it’s pretty eclectic. Circumstances alter cases.

4.) Tell me about your book, Honey Bun, and where you got your inspiration for it?
The book is a contemporary romance with a bit of angst thrown in. Hero and heroine have known each other since childhood. He leaves. He comes back. But does the path to true love run smoothly? Of course it doesn’t. My inspiration comes from an area I love and have much visited – the Cotswolds. Honey lives in a town where she runs a teashop and the buildings cocoon one in honey-coloured stone (would you believe I’ve only just noticed Honey and honey!). Been to the teashops. Seen the buildings. What’s not to love? Oh, and by the way, the hero is an architect, and that is part of the problem.

5.) Who is your role model? Why?
I love Jill Mansell’s books and, while Honey Bun is not in her style, she was there in the background. Why? Because I always love her heroines. They are invariably women with whom the reader can empathise. You can always put yourself in their place.

6.) How much of your book is realistic?
The setting is an amalgamation of several of the lovely places I have visited. The care home (one of the angsty bits) was based on the wonderful establishment where my own mother spent her last years. The story? I leave that to my readers to judge.

7.) What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Having written three contemporary romances – two are published, the third is with my lovely agent, Lisa Eveleigh - I have changed tack. Brought up as so many of us were on the delights of Georgette Heyer, whose novels I have read over and over and over again, I have taken the plunge and begun writing a historical romance set in the Regency period. I am over half way through at the moment and, if this doesn’t sound overly romantic, I feel as if I’ve come home. My ambition would be to continue in this genre that I so enjoy writing as well as reading.

8.) Share one fact about yourself that would surprise people.
I was once a passenger in a glider. Only once, mind you. Flying was great. Landing? The ground comes up to meet you awfully quickly!

Links:

Blurb:
When Guy Ffoulkes walks into Honeysuckle Bunting’s teashop after an absence of fourteen years her world goes out of sync. Guy was her brother’s best friend; she was Basil’s scruffy younger sister. For Honey Bun though there had always been more… 
Honey had been heartbroken as Guy, kissing the top of her head in brotherly fashion, left Rills Ford to go to university. So why was he back now, standing in her shop? When Honey learns the reason for his reappearance, her excitement at seeing him again swiftly turns to dismay.
Biog:
Natalie has been writing for sixteen years and her first two novels, Safe Harbour and Honey Bun, were published in 2014. Her third, also a contemporary romance, is with her agent, Lisa Eveleigh of the Richford Becklow Literary Agency. She is currently writing a Regency-based romance and wishes she could live between the pages of her book if only to wear the beautiful dresses that were fashionable at the time.
Links:

Thank you very much for featuring me on your blog, Rachel. It’s been great fun answering your questions.


1 comment

  1. Thank you so much for inviting me onto your blog. Today the sun is shining and I can truly imagine myself taking tea at Honey's and enjoying the 'softness' of the view. Chocolate cake, anyone?

    ReplyDelete