Nice to meet you, Heather and to be part of your brand new blog tour - you are only the second Silver Publishing author I have hosted so would love to know more about your publisher and what they are like to work with. I am hearing more and more good things about Silver Publishing!
Time for the interview...
1) What is your writing routine? My routine fluctuates depending on the day of the week. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are my ‘scheduled’ writing days since those days my youngest goes to preschool. Those writing days I consider my office hours and treat them as such. I may throw in a load of laundry, but nothing else house or wife or mom related goes on. Once I drop the kids off, I come home, brew a fresh cup of something tasty and caffeinated in my keurig and hunker down on the couch to write new words on my wip, blog or do promo like this one! J
2) Which author/s inspire you to write? Originally, I was inspired to start writing by reading authors like Nicholas Sparks, Sophie Kinsella, and Jane Green. Now, there’s too many to name. It seems every author I meet or read inspires me in some way or another. Maybe they inspire me to write better dialogue, or to write a series because their series was just so fantastic.
3) Which is your favorite romance subgenre to read? To write? That’s a toss up between contemporary and paranormal. I love contemporaries because you can fall right into them and everything is familiar and it’s easy to imagine the story in my head. But I love paranormals because anything is possible! Currently I write mostly contemporary but I’ve also written one paranormal that I hope will be the start of a series.
4) How do you deal with criticism/rejection? Depends who it’s from and what it’s about. Try as I might to have a thick skin, some rejections and criticisms just get to me more than others. But even with the ones that really strike a chord in me, I force myself to step back and reevaluate for a bit before making any decisions. Usually I end up seeing what I couldn’t see before and then I’m able to make changes that fit my style as a writer as well as doing my story and characters justice. To improve at any skill, you have to be willing to learn from your mistakes and shortcomings.
5) What do you expect from an editor? I expected every experience with a new editor to be different from the others since everyone has slightly different ways of working. I hope to get an editor who can see little inconsistencies and errors in my writing so I can make them better.
6) Tell me about your latest release. My latest book is LOVE ON LANDING. It’s the second book in the Meadow Ridge Romance series, but you don’t have to read the first to jump right into this one. Each book stands on it’s own! LOVE ON LANDING is a book I loved writing because it took place in Paris. I went to Paris once with my husband and it was so fun to think back on those memories of walking around the city with him.
7) Tease us with a blurb or short excerpt
“Gavin, can I get your help in here for a minute?”
She heard a loud groan and the chair in the waiting room squeaked as he stood. Her door clicked open and Gavin peeked his head inside the tiny room. His tired eyes instantly lit up at the sight of her reflection in the mirror. Exactly the kind of reaction she hoped an outfit like this would stir in someone. Especially someone as hot as Gavin.
“Can you lace up the back for me? It’s a bit tricky to reach.”
“Um—sure,” he said quietly, taking the edges of the material from her hands. His gaze shifted to her back and she was suddenly aware of the lack of clothing between her skin and his fingers.
Apparently he was aware of her naked flesh too.
His large fingers fumbled with the laces almost letting them slip. She quickly held the top tight against her stomach so it wouldn’t fall to the ground. Not that a situation like that would be completely unwelcome with a guy like Gavin, but she’d prefer not to have it happen in a changing room if possible. Her hotel room? Well, that was different.
Why was she so attracted to him?
‘Cause he’s hot. And fights back. And hot.
8) Which is your favorite character in the book? Why? My favorite is Tali. She comes off as a spoiled, rich brat, but at heart, she’s all soft and mushy. She’s got a firecracker personality that’s smart and funny and sassy, and yet she can still look at a work of art and see the beauty and detail the artist put into the work. She’s more thoughtful and introspective than she might originally come off as.
9) What are you working on right now? Right now I’m finishing up another novella, which I hope will be the third Meadow Ridge Romance. And I’m getting ready to start work on my next full-length novel.
10) Your biggest piece of advice to aspiring novelists? My best advice is to never give up. This is a really hard business to break into and it may not go as you think it will. You have to be willing to take criticism and rejection and turn it around to make you a stronger writer. And the path you initially set out to walk might change a little as you go, but that’s okay. If you really want it, just keep stepping forward and eventually you’ll find you’re exactly where you always wanted to be.
11) Where can readers find you?
Facebook: Heather Thurmeier, author
Heather ia giving away a $25 Amazon GC to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour, and a $10 Amazon GC to the host whose post receives the most comments. Follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here: http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2011/12/virtual-book-tour-love-on-landing-by.html
LOVE ON LANDING (A Meadow Ridge Romance) Blurb:
When Tali tries to recover from a recent break-up with a trip to Paris for some retail therapy, she discovers shopping isn’t the only way to cure her broken heart. On route, she meets new pilot, Gavin. Tali and Gavin have instant chemistry and friction as their personalities clash at 30,000 feet.
One night in bed isn’t enough to quell the fireworks between Tali and Gavin and when tempers erupt, Tali’s ex-boyfriend is there to pick up the pieces. Too bad she’s finally realized what she really wants in life…and it isn’t her ex or the life her father has planned back home.
Now all Tali wants is the man who loved her enough to tell her what she didn’t want to hear, but can she win his heart back again on the trip home and find Love on Landing?
Heather Thurmeier was born and raised in the Canadian prairies, but now she lives in upstate New York with her own personal romance Hero (aka her husband) and their two little princesses. When she's not busy taking care of the kids and an adventurous puppy named Indy, Heather's hard at work on her next romance novel. She loves to hear from readers. Heart, humor, and a happily ever after.
Great having you here, Heather and I wish you all the best with the tours and wish you lots of sales and future success! Okay, Heather is waiting for your comments and questions...