Welcome the lovely Wild Rose Press author, Katherine Grey!

Katherine is a debut author with The Wild Rose Press - her first release is an historical romance set in the UK (one of my own favorite sub-genres to write!) and I can't wait to find out more about Katherine and her writing.

Let's get started!

1.) Did you set any goals for 2011?

I did set goals but they were small, and I hoped at the time, achievable. My mom was recovering from surgery late in 2010 with some complications and I was transitioning into a new job in a completely new field so I didn’t want to set huge goals that would only have added to my stress level. I’ve met all the goals I set so far with the exception of setting up a Twitter account. That will have to be a 2012 goal.

2.) What is the best part of the writing process for you?

I love writing the first draft of a story when the characters start coming to life and becoming fully formed with their own opinions, likes and dislikes.

3.) The worst part?

I have two things I think are the worst part of writing. One is writing a synopsis. I dread it and struggle to get 350 or so pages distilled into no more than 4 pages. The other thing I dislike is that first pass at editing/revision. I either start out changing nearly everything, adding and subtracting dialogue, description, emotion, etc or I don’t want to change anything because I’m worried I’ll revise the life right out of it.

4.) What is the book you wish you’d written?

I have to choose just one? I’d have to say To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It was the first book that was assigned for school that I loved and looked forward to reading. It touches on so many themes and is as relevant today as when it was first published. I’ve read it over and over throughout the years and still am in awe of how well written it is.

5.) Favourite author/s & book/s?

Goodness, I don’t think I could name them all here. Just a few of my favorite authors are Jeanne C. Stein, Jill Shalvis, Lisa Kleypas, Janet Evanovich, Suzanne Brockmann, Candace Camp, Laura Lee Guhrke, and Darynda Jones. Some of my favorite books are Whitney, My Love, A Heart So Wild, Dreaming of You, and anything by Suzanne Brockmann and the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

6.) Tell us about your latest release?

Impetuous was my debut novel and released in August. It takes place in 1812 London, England and involves the search for a stolen family heirloom with unforeseen consequences for both the hero and heroine.

7.) Tease us with a blurb/short excerpt.

His admiration for her grew with each encounter. Never had he met

a woman who fought with words, who could voice her opinions and

arguments so forcefully without once resorting to tears and the other

emotions many of her gender relied on to get their way.

“I suppose you are angry now that I’ve spoken the truth.”

He tilted his head to the side and looked at her. “No. I was just thinking

how beautiful you look.”

Teresa stared at him with a skeptical expression. “You’re doing it much too

brown. If you don’t mind, it’s been a long night. I would like to get inside

before the sun rises.”

“Do I not deserve a kiss for rescuing you tonight?” He knew he risked her temper,

but couldn’t resist baiting her once more.

You didn’t rescue me. Freddie did. And I would no more kiss you than I would eat a

bucket of chitterlings.”

Mateo raised his eyebrows. “Really? Then I leave you with one last thing to think

about as you lie in your bed.”

“And that would be?”

“A man driven to desperation will do almost anything to achieve his aim.”

8.) What is your favourite attribute of the hero and heroine?

Both the hero and heroine will do anything to protect their family. That sense of loyalty influences everything they do and why they do it.

9.) What’s next?

My novella, titled The Muse, that will be released in the first part of 2012.

10.) Tell me where you write?

I write at the dining room table. I plug in my ipod and fire up the laptop and I’m ready to go.

11.) Where would you like your career to be in 5 years?

I’d love to be able to write full time and be able to support my family with the income from my writing without having to have a separate job outside the home

12.) Where can we find you?

You can find me at my blog and Facebook.

Blog: http://katherinegrey.blogspot.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Katherine-Grey/265375626827267?sk=wall

Great interview, Katherine! This book has just gone on my TBR list - it sounds as though we have a lot in common with our writing. From the dining room table to dreaming of making a living from writing. What a lovely aspiration!

Comments?

9 comments

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Rachel and for the great interview. Hope you enjoy reading IMPETUOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, interesting blogpost. Love your book cover and the blurb. Much success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Vonnie. I love the cover too. The artist did a great job. Thank you for stopping by. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely interview, Katherine. Sounds like you've got it together. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Brenda. I don't know about having it all together, but I'm glad I'm giving that impression. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab interview, Rachel & Katherine. Impetuous is on my tbr list. Good luck with the release of your novella!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Cathie. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. I hope people like the hero in the novella as much as I do. He was a secondary character in Impetuous, but I felt he deserved his own story too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome, Katherine and thanks for stopping by, ladies - I am halfway through my first historical in a year and loving it. Aren't historicals fab?!

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachel, I think historicals are great, but then I might be biased. :o)

    ReplyDelete