Welcome fellow Wild Rose Press author, LaVerne Clark!


As both an avid reader and writer of romantic suspense, it's great being able to welcome LaVerne to my blog today. LaVerne is here to promote her story which is part of the Wild Rose Blue Diamond series. I can remember when the call out came for this series and I desperately wanted to be a part of it...but could not come up with a single idea that worked. So kudos, LaVerne! I wish you many sales, over to you!

1) When and why did you decide you wanted to be a published author?

I’ve always loved to read and write. Seeing the world through a character is a great way to escape the everyday for a little while, and if that includes an exciting romance with an intriguing man, all the better!

I dabbled with trying to write a book over ten years ago, but now I know I was too lacking in life experience to write one that really resonated with readers. Although I never stopped writing, I became more serious about it after my second child was born. That’s when I noticed the years were slipping by, and I didn’t want to say I hadn’t given it my all.

My favourite rock-band of all time is Muse, and I credit a line in one of their songs that keeps me motivated: Don’t waste your time or time will waste you.

2) What is the best and worse thing you have learned from an editor/agent?

The absolute best thing is the fact I can really write! : ) Those niggling doubts can be crippling and the idea an editor thinks I have talent still gives me goose-bumps.

I can honestly say there’s been nothing from my editor that has filled me with dread. Maybe she was just being extra gentle with this newbie : ) I’ve loved the whole journey so far – even the grueling rounds of edits when you have to break down your story to its skeleton and lay it bare for scrutiny.

3) Favourite author/s?

Ooo – I’m glad you put the ‘s’ on the end of author. I couldn’t possibly keep to one! They are in no particular order:

Jodi Picoult

Diana Gabaldon

LaVyrle Spencer

Judith McNaught

Phillipa Gregory

4) What is your typical day?

I’m mother to a ten-year old boy and 2 ½ year old girl, so no writing AT ALL gets done during the day. My fingers itch to get in front of my laptop, but as soon as I do, I’m needed by someone. So instead, after seeing my son off to school, I bake, play with my daughter, walk our greyhound, do the housework, then it’s time for dinner preparations and the bed-time routine. Once the children are in bed for the night, I might watch a bit of television then get behind the keyboard and stay there until around midnight.

5) Share your blurb or short excerpt from your latest release with us

Guardian of the Jewel

BLURB

After coming to terms with the brutal death of her husband by unknown thugs half a world away from New Zealand, Amy Hamblin concentrates on bringing up their son alone, struggling to make their dream of an action-adventure tourism venture a success.

When a dark, dangerous-looking man knocks on her door late at night claiming to be a guest, the safe, quiet life she’d created is suddenly anything but...

Gabriel Ryan’s task of finding the priceless blue diamond Amy’s husband stole from an organized crime ring, is made all the more difficult by the attraction that sizzles between them. Playing a role had never been so hard, and now, with a ruthless killer on the trail of the missing jewel as well, he needed his wits about him to keep them all alive.

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137&products_id=4283

6) Who would you cast to play your hero & heroine in a movie?

Hero: Hands down, Gerard Butler – but if Sam Worthington was dark-haired, mmm…his physique and brooding looks make him the perfect hero don’t you think?

Heroine: Leslie Mann (from the original George of the Jungle)

7) Did you plan this book? Or write it as it came?

I answered the call for submissions from The Wild Rose Press. They wanted stories involving a blue diamond for their Crimson line (or suspense). I had three months after hearing about the call to finish and submit the book, so I had a rough idea of where I wanted to take the story, but it was a little organic. I think having a deadline was a really good thing for a writer like me though. It forced me to focus and concentrate on the one project until it was finished.

8) What surprised you the most when you became a published?

I was actually surprised at how people treated me after becoming published. Suddenly, my little hobby was taken seriously and some people were in awe of me and the idea my work was out there. Little old me! Strange isn’t it? Mind you, I haven’t met Jodi Picoult or LaVyrle Spencer yet and I just know I’d make a gibbering idiot of myself if I did : )


9) Do you have a dedicated writing space? What does it look like?

Oh, I so wish I did. My writing space is in my family-room where I’m constantly finding toys tucked away in every conceivable crevice. My greyhound keeps me company at that peaceful time of the night when everyone’s gone to bed. At the moment, it’s quiet and close to midnight. I’ve just added the last of the logs in the woodburner (it’s Winter here in New Zealand) before I retire for the night.

10) What’s next for you?

I’m currently working on a story which I hope to have finished by the end of August for another submission call – this time about superheroes! I’m having so much fun writing it, so much so that I’m looking at making it into a series. Wish me luck : )

Thanks so much for hosting me Rachel. It was a fun interview!

If you want to find out more about me and my writing, you can find me at the following:

Facebook page

Novel Natterings – my blog

I’d love to see you there!

Really enjoyed getting to know you, LaVerne! We have three things in common - I too, started writing after the birth of my second daughter after the 'now or never' feeling became too strong to ignore AND then there's Jodi Picoult and Phillipa Gregory. Two of my absolute favourite authors! I have been lucky enough to meet Jodi Picoult twice at her book signings and Phillipa Gregory once. And yes, I was a blabbering idiot, lol!

LaVerne is waiting to hear from you...

12 comments

  1. Wonderful interview, LaVerne! It's so good to get to know you better. And I LOVE your dog...by the way. What a sweet baby. Sounds as if you've got your hands full. I admire you so much to be able to juggle such a busy life and still get any writing done. You're definitely a dynamo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed this. It always amazes me how writers fit in a bit of work at some point in a very busy day. Even when your kids are grow up there'll be some other kind of demand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maeve - lovely of you to stop by - thank you : )
    Not too sure about the dynamo part - most days I feel I've been blown up by dynamite, hehehe - but hey, I'll take it and gladly! : )
    I'm amazed at how many of us writers seem to be dog lovers/owners.

    Thanks for stopping by and reading Nancy! I've heard that when your children grow up, you're still lying awake at night worrying about them. Sigh...But aren't they the biggest blessing in the world : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LaVerne, lovely to meet you. I applaud you for getting a book written with a young child in the house. I didn't start writing until my boys were in high school, a whole 'nuther set of distractions, hehe.

    Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the interview,Laverne - especially hearing about your favourite authors - there are some great names on that list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LaVerne -
    We could use a little of your winter here today. ;)It's supposed to be over 100 degrees with no relief in sight.
    Love Romantic Suspense and yours sounds great!
    Wishing you many sales :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi LaVerne and Rachel.

    Congrats on your release, LaVerne. I too, remember when they put out the call for the Jewel of the Night series, but alas, I'm not a romantic suspense writer...thank goodness there are others out there who can write it so I can read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your release, LaVerne. Loved you interview.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi LaVerne! Great interview, Rachel!! I was chuckling about your writing routine, LaVerne. Sounds very familiar. I tell everyone my day begins at 10 p.m. :-) Adding Guardia to my TBR pile (sounds scrumptious), and I can't wait to see the one about super heroes. Very cool. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great cover and the blurb really makes you want to read the book. Great interview ladies! Bianca Swan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep up that word count, LaVerne - you'll get there! I have every faith in you, clever lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I wake up to see all you lovely ladies have dropped by. Thanks so much girls - I'm feeling the love : )

    Lu/Grace - *Groan* You mean it doesn't get better?! Parenting is its own adventure isn't it : )

    Cody - With a busy life chasing twins around, I really appreciate you stopping by. I think you might be the original Wonder Woman : ) Actually, the amazing part of our day is being able to carve out some time to enjoy some of those fantastic authors isn't it : )

    Jennifer - Yikes! How on earth do you do anything productive in that kind of heat?! I'm a huge fan of Winter, and the thought of struggling through those temperatures - Phew! The best thing though, being well within your rights to pour a long, cool drink of something delicious : )

    Debra - Funny you say that about Suspense. I feel the same about contemporary, historical, dark paranormal...I could go on ; )

    Caroline - So lovely to see you here. Thanks for your support in stopping by!

    AJ - Ah, AJ - my sister-in-arms : ) Nice to know others struggle with the juggling act too. I hope you enjoy Guardian as much as I enjoyed Jezebel. And I'm loving the super hero story. It's really captured my imagination. Such fun to write!

    Bianca - thanks for your compliments! The cover artist, Nicola Martinez, is incredibly talented isn't she? We're so lucky to have such amazing people to bring our ideas to life. By the way - I LOVE your name. Could I borrow it for a heroine one day?

    Cherie - Guardian wouldn't have happened without you - thank you! The word count is still going strong - even with Gabby passing on her heavy cold/flu to me. Children - they're so giving aren't they? ; )

    ReplyDelete