Joselyn Vaughn is here with me today...talking Hot Rods! ; )


Hi Joselyn! You are another Astraea Press author who seems very happy to be working with this clearly wonderful new publisher. Can you tell us a little about them? I understand that their books/stories all lean toward the 'sweet' genre of romance, is that right?

Okay, on with the interview!

1) Who is your favourite author and why?

Do I have to choose just one? My favorite romance author is Julia Quinn. I love how she gives her characters quirks and memorable habits. Colin is always eating and the young lady who draws rabid squirrels. They crack me up every time I think about them.

2) When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I’ve always written and always wanted to write books, but it’s so hard to be able to call yourself a writer. Why is that? It certainly gets easier after you have a book published. J

3) Describe your writing space?

Ha! We recently rearranged our television room where my desk is. We moved my desk into the alcove where the ceiling slants from 7’ to 4’. My desk is against the short wall and I can’t stand up next to it. I think we’ll be rearranging it soon. The desk itself is really old and beat-up. It used to be my mother’s sewing table and my sewing table before kids, so it’s been around a lot of creativity.

4) What are you reading now?

Currently, I’m reading Pepper Wellington and the Case of the Missing Sausage by Tanya Eby. She has a unique sense of humor. I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett, which I absolutely loved, and Sunshine Boulevard by JQ Rose, which is a hoot.

5) How many books have your written? Which is your favourite?

I’ve published three and have two that are in progress. Of the published, I think Courting Sparks is my favorite. Noah is just so sweet. One of the in-progress ones may replace it though. The main character is so much fun. She just does whatever she wants. It’s great. I also feel like I’m really pushing myself with the story.

6) What comes first, plot or characters?

Definitely the characters. I have to figure out who they are before the plot develops. Then I can see what problems they might encounter. When I’m working on a story where I don’t really know the main character, it’s really hard to balance the story between the hero and the heroine.

7) Do you ever suffer from writer’s block?

When I do, I start bouncing ideas off my critique group. We get some ideas going and I’m off and running again. They really help figure out what’s getting me stuck and how to work it out.

8) What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

Reading of course. I also like to run. It feels so good to have that time alone where I can just think.

9) Tell us about your latest book?


Sucker for a Hot Rod is about a young woman having car troubles and the guy who can’t fix it. While trying to determine the origin of the car problems, they face the issues that have kept them from their dreams.

10) What’s next for you?

I’m going to keep working on the story about Minnie, the owner of the Lilac Bower Bed and Breakfast.


The story around a Bed & Breakfast appeals to me so much! Is it to be set in a small American town? Because I live in the UK, I am fascinated with the romantic notion of the American small town in the same way many Americans are fascinated with the English way of life. I LOVE small town stories!

Joselyn is waiting to hear from you, folks!

1 comment

  1. Rachel, Thanks so much for hosting me today! Minnie's story is set in a small town and there are all kinds of secrets that come to light. And quirky characters. They are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete