Dawn Brown is visiting me as part of the Romantic Suspense Tour...


The Romantic Suspense Tour has now been running for eight weeks and I have to say I have loved being a part of it and getting to know all the other authors in turn, with many more to come! I'd love to know if you guys have been following me and my new friends along the way and any books you particularly liked. Today, i am happy to welcome fellow Wild Rose Press author, Dawn Brown...

Hi Dawn! Let's get started.

1) Where do you write?

I have an office in the attic. It’s freezing in the winter and stifling in the summer, but aside from the temperature control issues, it’s the perfect place to write. Far from the rest of the house and any distractions.

2) What is the best & worst part about the writing process for you?

The best part, for me, is when the story is really flowing and I can see it all unfolding in my head. Conversely, the worst part is when the flow dries up and I’m not sure where to take the story. Most cases of writer’s block for me have been the result of self-doubt.

3) When did you first consider yourself a writer?

When I completed my first book and started shopping it a round. I had taken that first inkling of an idea and managed to see it through to a full novel.

4) What is the best & worst advice you’ve received about writing?

The best piece of writing advice I ever received was to write every day. It keeps the story fresh and the momentum going. The worst would probably be to write what you know. If I only wrote about the things I’d experienced, they’d be pretty boring stories.

5) Which comes first? Plot or characters?

Both. I just finished the first draft for a story that came about from an idea for the character first and I developed the story around her experiences. The Curse of Culcraig, on the other hand, I had the story idea first and had to come up with the right characters to tell it.

6) What is a typical day for you?

I wake up and walk for a half hour, then get my son off to school. After that, it’s coffee, check emails, then work on my first draft until I hit my word count—usually about noon. In the afternoons, I work on rewrites, critiques and any promotional stuff that needs to be done. I usually try to wrap up by the time my son gets home from school.

7) Where do you see your career in five years?

Why on the best sellers list, of course. J

8) What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

When I’m not writing, I like spending time with family and friends, and reading.

The Curse of Culcraig

After a devastating personal tragedy, history professor Hillary Bennett seeks refuge in the quaint Scottish village of Culcraig, hoping to research a legend and salvage her career. Instead, she finds her hostess dead, and her hopes for the future pinned to the woman’s black sheep heir.

The last thing Caid Douglas needs is a decrepit manor house to remind him of his estranged family, but he does need the money selling the house would bring to pay off his debts. In desperation he offers to honor his great aunt’s arrangement with Hillary—if she pays him to stay at Glendon House and view his ancestor’s journals, he’ll have the money to fix up the family mausoleum and sell it.

But an ancient curse hovers over the village, and the secret to lifting it lies in the journals. Will Caid and Hillary realize what they have and uncover the truth before a twisted killer silences them forever?

     

Someone was in the house with them…

“You know,” Hillary said, keeping her voice low. “This house is huge. We could check each room individually, but who’s to say that whoever’s here won’t just keep moving around as we search, eventually working their way into a room we’ve already checked? We’ll never be one hundred per cent sure we’re alone.”

“Are you suggesting we separate?”

Her grip on his hand tightened. Did she even realize she’d done that?

“It would probably make more sense to split up. If we worked from opposite ends and met in the middle, it would reduce the chance of an intruder slipping away. But as I said, this place is huge and we’re only two people, the odds of our mystery person eluding us are still pretty good. Not to mention the confusion.”

“Confusion?” Caid tried to suppress his grin.

“Yes. If we separated, we could easily wind up tracking each other. At least together, if we hear or see anything out of the ordinary, we know that it has to be someone else.”

“What an astounding rationalization.”

She frowned at him in obvious consternation. “I think I made some very good points.”

He smiled. “Aye, you did. I’m sure you’ve convinced yerself quite nicely. Did you bring the subject up simply because you were concerned that I might think you liked holding my hand?”

He couldn’t stop his smile from widening, especially when she struggled to untangle her fingers from his, but as they entered the kitchen, he tightened his grip.

"Dinnae be like that. I’m just having a wee bit of fun with you."

She ceased struggling as her delicately shaped brows drew together in disbelief. "That wasn't here earlier."

"What?" He turned to the direction she pointed.

A brass fireplace poker lay dead center on the battered harvest table. On the floor, a series of watery footprints stretched between the back door to the table.

Christ’s sakes. Hillary hadn't just been frightened alone in an old house, there had been someone else here.

But who? And why?

The Wild Rose Press and Amazon

Dawn's website: http://dawnbrown.org/

Great excerpt, Dawn - really enjoyed it. If you guys have any comments or questions for Dawn, she'd love to hear from you!

In the meantime, I am visiting with Ursula Grey, so please stop over and leave a comment - I'd love to see you!

http://ursulagrey.wordpress.com/


3 comments

  1. Ooh, I like the sound of that! Just went to amazon and downloaded the sample chapter. Can't wait to read more!

    India Drummond

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very intriguing, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, India. I hope you like.

    Thanks, Rosemary. It was a lot of fun to write.

    Thanks so much for having me, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete