Debut Wild Rose Press author, Kathy Lane!

Kathy is here to be interviewed for her upcoming release, Bloodsworn: Bound by Magic. Can't wait to hear learn more about both author and book, Kathy!

Over to you...


1) When and why did you decide you wanted to be a published author?

Writing was more or less a hobby until early 2006. That’s when I had the first chapter of a story critiqued by a published author at a conference and she actually pulled me out of the breakfast buffet line the next morning and begged for more. I thought, huh, maybe I can do this. Maybe I can really write a book someone besides myself would want to read. Writing that book became my focus and, well, three manuscripts later, here I am. My dream is coming true.

2) What is the best piece of advice you have ever been given as a writer?

Join a writer’s group. I firmly believe that my book would not be published right now if I hadn’t followed that advice and joined my local chapter of RWA. TARA (Tampa Area Romance Authors) is such a wonderful group of published and to-be-published authors. Between the workshops and critique groups, they definitely helped me polish my writing to a professional level.

3) What is the best thing you have learned from an editor/agent?

Be flexible and open to suggestions. Your editor is there to help you make your book more attractive to readers. Let him/her do their job by giving you the benefit of their experience—but don’t let them run rough-shod over you either.


Share your blurb or short excerpt from your latest release with us

Worlds collide when a man of magic is forced to take a woman of science as his bride.

Powerful Bloodsworn, Devlin Kel-Tragar, is sent to Earth to claim his prophecy bride, a task he has no heart for until he learns that research chemist, Avera St. John, is also his Starmate, the one woman in the universe born just for him. Now he’ll do anything to claim her. But will his slow seduction of his lady mate give his enemy time to take away the one thing Devlin can’t afford to lose?

Avera is drawn to her new neighbor, Devlin Kel, despite the mystery she sense surrounding him. A mystery that blows her safe little scientific world wide open when strange men with swords try to kill her and Devlin shows up and blasts them with magic. Real, honest-to-goodness magic! Her world is suddenly changed forever, and Avera must decide if she is able to accept those changes along with the man responsible.

6) Who would you cast to play your hero & heroine in a movie?

Not that I’m that big a fan of the Twilight movies, but I saw a picture of Peter Facinelli with dark hair and thought he’d make a wonderful Devlin. And I can easily see Nikki Reed as Avera. Ms. Sharp & Spunky would never let herself be overwhelmed by a bunch of alien warriors.

7) Did you plan this book? Or write it as it came?

I don’t write from an outline. That being said, I encourage new writers to start out using an outline if they can. The story will definitely flow faster. And don’t worry if the plot veers off course slightly. Outlines are temporary maps, nothing more. Sometimes your characters take you in a direction you never imagined and you just have to go along with them.

8) What surprised you the most when you became published?

How fast it happened. My head’s still spinning a little. I started writing Bloodsworn in 2008, signed a contract in 2009, and here it is published in 2010. That may sound like a long time, but the truth is there is no guarantee when you write your first book—or even your third—that a publisher will choose it over someone else’s. Without a doubt, there are authors out there who’ve had their first book published sooner, but all I can say is that I’m still a little stunned with the reality of holding Bloodsworn in my hands.

9) Do you have a dedicated writing space? What does it look like?

My den is messy, messy, messy. I really wish it was neater. Don’t know if I’d write any better though. I tend to block everything out when I’m writing.

10) What’s next for you?

I finished the second book in the Bloodsworn series in August and have already received a contract for it from The Wild Rose Press. Bloodsworn: Linked by Blood should be out Spring of 2011. And yes, there will be a third book. Before that, however, I’m completing a romantic suspense called Sniper Shots.

Finish with details of where readers can find you – website, Facebook, Twitter etc

Bloodsworn: Bound by Magic is available on-line at www.thewildrosepress.com, www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com in both print and digital versions.

For further information on the author and a peek at the next book in the Bloodsworn series, please visit www.kyrlane.com. You can leave a comment on the Blog page or send me an email at kyrlane@hotmail.com.

I’m also on Facebook under Kathy Lane.

Great having you here today, Kathy - I love hosting debut authors, it is such an exciting time for you and us! Who is your editor at TWRP? They are all fabulous but I love knowing who authors are working with...


1 comment

  1. Hi Kathy,

    Hello to a fellow Rose and congrats on your debut release.

    I love my local RWA chapter, too. The publishing world makes much more sense since I have a wonderful support group to lean on.

    ReplyDelete