Back in time with Laura Hogg


Hi Laura and welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoyed my interview, can wait to read your answers. Over to you...

1) What is your writing routine? I start after work and write until I have to go to bed, taking breaks for reading and other things.

2) Which author/s inspire you to write? I love historical novels. One favorite author is Margaret George. And romance, oh so many authors. I have favorites for each sub-genre.

3) Which is your favorite romance subgenre to read? To write? Historical or paranormal. I love writing about history so I write a lot of time travel.

4) How do you deal with criticism/rejection? I try to learn from it, even if it hurts to read. I appreciate it when critiquers are specific about what didn’t work for them.

5) What do you expect from an editor? Specifics, easy to work with, respect and kindness, not to mention, a sharp eye.

6) Tell me about your latest release. Descent into Darkness is set in London and Russia in 1811-1812. It’s out with Moongypsy Press: http://www.moongypsypress.com/hogg.php

7)

Tease us with a blurb or short excerpt:
8) Duncan Amberley has come back from war, fighting Napoleon's men on a ship. Clarissa Hale is a lovely shopkeeper with a great sense of humor. A heroic heart rests inside this insecure, intelligent beauty, and she will be called to prove it. Clarissa and her love are pitted against each other for the sake of their families and some terrible accusations. She will be in constant peril as she gathers evidence to convict Duncan's dangerous brother of a harrowing crime. Duncan's heart breaks when he discovers something about Clarissa's sister. Can their love survive the results of their investigations? They devise a dangerous plan to get to the truth, which brings them into the heart of Napoleon's camp in 1812 Russia as spies. Risking everything, they must get to the truth.

9) Which is your favorite character in the book? Why? Clarissa, she’s strong, but sweet, ambitious, but feminine and a perfect match for Duncan.

What is next for you? Ah, I’m always researching and writing. At the time of this interview, I’m working on another book in my time travel series: Romeo vs. Juliet but have other ideas as well.

10) What are you working on right now? A few different things. A Romeo vs. Juliet book set partially in the 1920s, a children’s fantasy book, and others.

11) Your biggest piece of advice to aspiring novelists? Build up your credits. You can enter contests or get short stories published in magazines or ezines, for example. Also, join a critique group. Even if you’re a strong writer, you’ll be surprised at what you can learn from other writers, and you’ll make friends and connections in the industry.

Where can readers find you?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=62648343
http://twitter.com/lovebooksmusic
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F977GI
http://traveltheages.blogspot.com/2010/04/hello-and-good-evening-to-you-im-happy.html
http://www.myspace.com/l_hogg

Thanks for having me! If anyone likes my blog, I love featuring guest writers. Please contact me if you’d like to talk about your work there.
Warmly, Laura

Great interview, Laura and great cover too! Glad to have you here x

3 comments

  1. Rachel, I really appreciate you having me here! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Thanks for giving us an excerpt. If it wasn't for your material, I would never read historical fiction. Love your time-travel material. Best of luck to you!
    Lisa K.

    ReplyDelete