It's great to have you here, Silver. I know both myself and my readers love learning more and more about all the authors that have found a happy home with The Wild Rose Press. Let's push on with the questions!
1) Did you set any goals for 2010?
I did! My goal is to finish rewriting an older project in time to pitch it at my RWA chapter mini-conference in June and at Nationals in July. The first “new” rough draft is done and now I'm adding in layers, another murder (or two), and polishing it bright and shiny. I also plan on finishing the third book in what I call my FAERE Tales and submitting it to my editor at Wild Rose Press.
2) What is the best part of the writing process for you?
The dreaming. I love the whole process of “What if?” Every one of my books has started with that question. I often have one or more projects swirling around in the back of my imagination while I work on the current WIP. When I finish a project, I always have a new story to dive into.
3) The worst part?
Fixing POV in the second draft. I HAVE to know what every character is thinking, seeing, feeling, and doing in a scene. I can't write any other way. Unfortunately, that means I have to go back in the editing process, figure out whose POV is the most important and rewrite each scene to fit. Hate that part.
4) What is the book you wish you’d written?
The next book in my imagination. Yes, I know. Sounds like an excuse. But it is true. I have so many stories floating around in my head, each one full of characters demanding a voice. I want to tell each one of their stories. As I work at my craft and become a better writer, I want each book to be the very best I could write...but I always want the next one to be better. That said, I really wish I'd written NAKED IN DEATH by J.D. Robb. I want to be that part of Nora Roberts' empire when I grow up. Well...my OWN empire, but you know what I mean.
5) Favourite author/s & book/s?
See above. I love J.D. Robb, which is interesting because I'm not that big a fan of Nora Robert's work. She truly writes with completely different styles. I discovered the IN DEATH books at a dark period in my life and glommed onto them. To say I devoured each and every book is not an exaggeration. When the library couldn't get them for me in order, due to the demand, I went on-line, found her back list, ordered them and now, even the hardbacks are an automatic buy for me. I also buy them in an e-version for my reader. (So much easier to read that way!)
6) Tell us about your latest release?
FAERIE FATE has been available in print for about a month now and in ebook form since April 9th. The first in an interconnected set of books, the story is one of time travel, reincarnation, true love, and the Tuatha de Danaan (the Faerie of Irish legend).
7) Tease us with a blurb/short except:
If you could go back, do it over again, would you take a chance to find true love? What if you had no choice?
On her fiftieth birthday, the faerie catapult Rebecca Miller a thousand years into the past to find her happily ever after with Ciaran MacDermot, Chief of Clann MacDermot, the last Fenian warrior in his line. In the twenty-first century, Becca is old enough to be Ciaran’s mother. In the tenth, she’s young enough to be his bride.
The fae forgot to mention one slight stipulation. The lovers must be bound before the Festival of Light, or Becca will forever disappear into Tir Nan Óg, the faerie Land of the Ever Young. Will they discover the binding words before time runs out and they’re torn apart forever? Or will their eternal love defeat their Faerie Fate?
Without the words, history is doomed to repeat itself.
8) What is your favourite attribute of the hero and heroine? Ciaran, when faced with a woman many think may be crazy (including himself at times), is still willing to give Becca the benefit of the doubt. No matter how many times he walks away, he comes back. With Becca, her sheer stubbornness and strength keeps her fighting against all the odds.
9) What’s next? Next up is the second book, FAERIE FIRE, which releases “into the wild” on September 17, 2010 from The Wild Rose Press. This book centers on a Senator's daughter with The Sight, a disgraced Special Armed Services captain, and the terrorist intent on destroying them both. FIRE is more about reincarnation and the Faerie working behind the scenes, though Moira's Sight reveals the past.
10) Tell me where you write? The short answer is anywhere. My daughter was a gold level softball player in high school, which meant lots of travel for tournaments. I wrote between games, in the hotel at night, and if my husband could make the trip, while riding in the car. Currently, since I'm retired from the real world, my “cave” is a odd room off the kitchen. Once a covered and enclosed patio, the former owners tossed up a wall of windows and called it a Florida room. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, but I've logged many hours at the computer desk. We're in the process of doing some renovations and when done, I'll have a new space with floor-to-ceiling bookcases, new desk, printer stand, and dedicated bookcase for my research files. I'll be a “real writer” then!
11) Where would you like your career to be in 5 years? I'd love to be at the top of the New York Times best seller list! Who wouldn't, right? That's the ultimate goal. I want a successful series of books. But mainly, I want to still love this job I'm doing. Writing has always been a part of me, of my psyche. No matter how discouraged I became on the road to publication, I never stopped writing. I want to have that spark in my imagination so I greet each morning with a new, “What if?”
12) Where can we find you? Some days I feel like I am all over the web! I haven't quite decided if social networking is a good thing or or a bad thing. I'm always at Penumbra, my website and blog. I'm silverwriter on Twitter and I have a Live Journal account and a little used MySpace account. I could spend all day being social, but then Iffy, my Muse, would be miffed because I'm not writing. Drop by and say hi, or follow me. If you are looking for my book, here are some links to get you there faster! Available now from The Wild Rose Press, Amazon.com. and barnesand noble.com: FAERIE FATE by Silver James
BIO: My imagination has always run rampant. As a published author, I get to share the stories created there. Over the course of my lifetime, I’ve been a military officer’s wife, mother, state appellate court marshal, airport rescue firefighter and forensic fire photographer, crime analyst, and technical crime scene investigator. Retired from the “real world” now, I live in Oklahoma and spend my days at the computer with my two Newfoundland dogs, the “lolcat” who rules us all, and myriad characters all clamoring for attention. Eventually, I’ll tell each of their stories.
Silver would love to hear from you all!!